Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Strategies surrounding receiving feedback from others include "being approachable" from a variety of mediums. Approachability includes trust and support to name a few. Your actions and /or interactions may dictate the level of feedback one is offering.
Mediums such as Open door policy, scheduled one on one meetings, department meetings asking specific feedback questions, etc are all opportunities I use to gain feedback from others. Being a good listener and don't over promise will help the feedback coming.
The level of trust and confidence between the team members helps ensure honest,driven,solution orientated feedback to further enhance the departments results

I listen without forming a response until asked.
I seek clarification if needed to ensure there is no miscommunication
I gladly accept the feedback, in an honest attempt for self improvement.

I have to really take into account what the intent of the feedback is from the person. Is it helpful, or does it feel like an attack. I have learn to stay quiet and calm when hearing feedback so that I cand respond in a very responsable manner.

I Facilitate team development: Proper communication actually provides the basis for the project team to work together and understand objectives and tasks to be completed. Better communication means better performance

I usually have a one-on-one session in a very relaxed and conducive environment. More importantly, I do let the employee know what we are going to discuss. I do this to prepare them for the session.

I would use a couple of different strategies to ensure the feedback I’m receiving is effective. One is my body language. I like to remain relaxed and
portrait the appearance of being relaxed and calm. I would not have my arms crossed but to the side or in my lap. I would make eye contact so the
giver can see I’m looking at them and not away.
I would listen and acknowledge when necessary. Additionally, I would paraphrase when needed so I understand the message being delivered. If for some
reason I did understand I would ask politely to rephrase the information so I didn’t leave the meeting without fully understanding the issue.
I would try to remain positive and upbeat, knowing the intent to provide help (if it is negative), or thankful if it is positive feedback.

Hi Troy, thanks for your comments! I have found too that the four most crucial factors in receiving feedback constructively are a positive body language, active listening, acknowledgement and paraphrasing. I think you're right on target!

Jay Hollowell
ML120 Facilitator

Thanks Morgan, I have found too that proper and effective communication channels also helps with contingency plans when involved with a team project - in other words, good communication enables others to bring alternative ideas to the table.

Jay Hollowell
ML120 Facilitator

Thanks for your comments George! I agree that one of the dangers of ineffective feedback is that the person providing the feedback has not planned accordingly and not prepared the receiver, at least somewhat in advance, for the feedback exchange.

Jay Hollowell
ML120 Facilitator

Hi Catharine, this is a good point! Feedback not only involved the message, but also the delivery and the deliverer - hence all of the communication dynamics. Staying calm is the best approach, but I have to remind myself, personally, because it is hard to do sometimes!

Thanks!

Jay Hollowell
ML120 Facilitator

Active listening is an important skill to employ in any situation in which you are conversing with another individual. I teach a freshman orientation course, so I schedule a lecture to teach students how to actively listen to others. We play games, etc. and they have a good time and find it beneficial.

When receiving feedback from others the first thing I always do is make sure I understand the issue that they are discussing. I also make sure to restate what the other person is saying so that we are both in full agreement on what is being communicated. Lastly, I followup on the conversation.

Hi Christine!

Thanks for your comments! You are actually following the recommended constructive feedback process! And restating or paraphrasing may very well be the most important step. As you note, by paraphrasing, we help to ensure that our observations are correct. Otherwise, we may be basing our feedback on a mis-perception.

Follow up then establishes a measure of accountability.

Jay Hollowell
ML120 Facilitator

I really like the "being approachable" medium. I try to ask myself how would I like to be responded to in certain circumstances and then try to bring positive information to the responses I give to others. This post from Wayne Lehnert is great. It has helped me to put the priorities to situations in order. Ty Wayne!

Well I always let them know that their feedback is important to me and they should not hesitate to give it. I also have a box in the lounge labeled feedback,or comments for improvement.When receiving feedback making sure that I am listening , and giving them my undivided attention, so that they will feel comfortable in doing so , and will let others know.

Or what I do is have employees fill out a form discussing how comfortable they are giving and recieving feedback, and what changes they would like to see happen

Exactly!!! Body language is also a very important part in feed back. You can be saying upbeat and positive responses, but they will read your body language first, and that is what they will go on.Even repeating what they are telling you, is also a good way of telling them ,I hear you, and I'm understanding what you are saying.

Strategies that are currently used to solicit feedback would be more along the line of formal feedback correlated to annual reviews. However my priority customers are the students. I receive HONEST feedback at the end of each course, to which I apply to future courses. I do acknowledge that I first must separate opinion from feedback. Unfortunately, students may take out their inabilities or laziness on the feedback forms which will not give the instructor clear feedback. This it is why it is imperative to separate opinion from genuine constructive criticism.
Thank you,
Michalina Hendon

I meet with my Program Manager weekly to discuss student needs and classroom activities in order to better assess areas where I can improve.

As an instructor for my classes, I don't wait to the end of a session or semester to receive evaluations. I am constantly asking for feedback to my students about the my teaching approach, what I am communicating and not communicating within the curriculum and whether the students are grasping the material. This helps me understand from the very beginning of a course how much information is being received.

A specific example from the classroom are note cards, which student can write anonymous feedback.

Sign In to comment