Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Great point Phillip. Nothing speaks louder than results in some cases and your strategy of leading by example highlights the differences between a manager and a leader.
Best,
Tim

Tim,

Leading by example will usually garner not only higher performance but also employee loyalty. There are two schools of thought – one that says leaders are born and one that says that leaders are made. Regardless of your opinion, I agree with your assessment that it does not take a title or power to be a leader. There is a great quote by Russell Ewing that sums it up. “A boss creates fear, a leader confidence. A boss fixes blame, a leader corrects mistakes. A boss knows all, a leader asks questions.”

Dr. Jamie Morley

This situation can be tough. It is important to meet with your team and discuss your vision and expectations and to establish your position as their new team leader. Explain to your team there may be changes, but the ultimate goal is to guide and lead the team in a positive direction. Allow your team an opportunity to offer suggestions and voice any concerns which can help you help the team.

Lisa,

Good suggestions! Especially for new managers coming into an established team, leading by example is crucial. There is one piece of advice I always give to new managers. Don’t be afraid to ask your experienced team members for guidance. A manager does not need to know everything. Sometimes, new managers feel that asking their employees questions makes them look weak. In reality, it shows that you are comfortable in your role and have respect for all opinions.

Dr. Jamie Morley

I agree with your statement, Dr. Morley. Leading by example is how you can gain the respect of your subordinates, colleagues, as well as your superior. As what was mentioned earlier in one of the threads, leaders can be born or trained; however, the actions are what is expected of them.

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." John Quincy Adams

Tu,

What an inspiring quote! Thanks for sharing.

Dr. Jamie Morley

Sign In to comment