Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Planning the meeting

I was never aware of the components that are necessary for a successful meeting. This has really opened my eyes. thanks

charles,
Running a meeting is a real talent. It takes practice and and consistency.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I have to agree with Charles, I go to lots of meetings and enjoy the benefit of receiving an agenda. However, when I call a short meeting with some of my direct reports, my eyes have been opened to the fact that I have been too informal and my notes are written on a legel pad. These meetings never last over 30 minites, due to time restraints. After studying this course, it seems I have room for improvement. I will always have an agenda moving forward. THANKS.

Darryl,

Agenda's are important. It is an easy of conveying intentions. It is good if an agenda can go out before the meeting.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Putting a fact finding accessment together for the purpose of having a meeting seems vital and almost common sense. I had never considered how many other steps were involved for the outcome of a successful meeting. I have a new admiration for those that do meetings on a normal, everyday basis.

Thomas,
Many of us were part of meetings that were just that. People came together to meet. This is not a real meeting but more of a socialization. Good meetings take planning and time. Areas of meetings should consider expectations, meeting attendees preparation, priorities, time management and finally outcomes. Its not just a coming together of people. The people in the meeting are the key people who need to know and participate.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I believe meetings would be more effective if they were short and to the point! You don't need a lot of filler material. In a lot of cases it is difficult to find time to attend/ hold meetings where everyone can attend without disrupting their day!

Jessie,
Jessie,
All meetings should be planned ahead of time. Expectations and outcomes of the meeting should be communicated to the participants. Plus a time management scheme should be used to keep the meeting on track. Prioritize your meeting agenda with the most important at the front end. If time does not permit carryover the items at the end to the next meeting.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I agree. I like short and to the point meetings. Tell me what needs to be done and when does it need to be done. I have been to meetings before when the only thing on the topic was that it was Tuesday.

Craig,
Waisting time in meetings is terrible to inflict upon people. People appreciate meetings with a well planned agenda that adhered too. Plus, a meeting leader who can keep people on task which gets them out with a message and direction.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Most meeting facilitators would benefit from this course. I was unaware how much information I was leaving out when I would call a meeting. This course was a huge benefit to structuring my next meeting and will help with getting the most out of it by staying on topic and focusing on the task at hand.

John,
I am happy this course has been of some help to you. The important factor is to be consistent with your meeting planning. When you can do this your attendees will learn how the process works and your meetings will progress nicely.

Dr. Gary Carlson

My goal in taking this class was to stop having meetings because it was Tuesday and give value to everyone's time. I am better prepared to do that but see from my initial attempt at the challenge quiz that I have a lot to learn and to teach.

Melanie,
Over the years I have attended good, bad and ugly meetings. I am positive great meetings are thought out prior to the meeting. Prior to meetings we must anticipate the responses and handle them accordingly. Your style will be adopted as long as you are consistent with your planning and delivery. If you have questions after this course you can reach me at: gary@gcarlson-inc.com

Dr. Gary Carlson

I agree that most will benefit from this course. I think I will be more organized and stay on topic.

Scott,
There is a true value of meetings but it is when we meet just to meet is when we lose this value. Every meeting needs specific outcomes and expectations. Priority is necessary to make this happen.

Dr. Gary Carlson

If the purpose of the meeting was to collect information or ideas from a group of people an agenda in advance would be helpful. It would give the participants time to think about the topics being discussed. What would be worse than calling a meeting asking for ideas or input and get nothing but silence.

Aaron,
Meeting preparation is essential to the success of any meeting. Communication with the people who need to know helps them prepare themselves for the expectations of any meeting. If you want the best results let them know what you are thinking.

Dr. Gary Carlson

What can you suggest if their is not time to prepare an agenda? This would be rare but sometimes occurs.

Patricia ,

I usually start the meeting with what I have for an agenda and write it on a flip chart. Then asked the group to add three more items they would like to discuss. This is a little about ownership. Doesn't hurt to do this now and then.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment