Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Leadership

Leadership involves getting others to follow and endorse your vision of change for the good.

Norma,

Interesting point. Maybe leadership is also getting others to work on your ideas because they think it is their's. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Hello Susan, I agree with the tutorial that Leadership is directing others to act for their own good when they hesitate due to fear or lack of self-confidence. It is about the Leader having the experience, trustworthiness, and confidence to evoke the trust of others to follow his/her direction.

Norma Thomas
Instructor - Anthem College Online

Norma,
Very well said. Leaders do have to instill confidence in others until the "others" develop their own confidence. Trust and creating a safe environment takes skill and each person learns to do it in their own way. thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

I agree with your statement regarding leadership and this tutorial's focuses of elements and functions of leadership. I'm a Business Management Instructor and focus my students, not just on management functions, but "leadership" knowledge and skills as a manager. Here's just 2 quotes I use in my classes: 1) Colin Powell, a Four-Star General; former Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff and Secretary of State: "You have achieved excellence as a leader when people will follow you anywhere, if only out of curiosity." 2) Dolly Parton: "If your actions create a legecy that inspires others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, then, you are an excellent leader."

Rhonda,

Great ideas to share. Thanks. We think leadership is about thinking like a Team rather than employees and bosses. We think that it is important to have a mindset that sees employees as the source of solutions. When asked it is amazing that people who work for your company or school have great answers. We often forget to see that. Students are usually a source for solutions as well. We just need to ask and measure results. Maybe it is about realizing that we can all make a difference. As leaders we have to show the way. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

I have always espoused the definition of leadership that I learned from the Army. I have never forgotten it:

"Leadership is influencing others to complete the mission by providing purpose, direction, and motivation."

To me, this sums it up nicely. Leaders have to own this activity throughout the mission at each point or mission failure is inevitable.

If they don't manage purpose, followers will not understand why they are doing what they are doing.

If they don't manage direction, followers will not know how to do what they are doing, or the standards by which those things need to be done.

If they don't manage motivation, followers will not want to do what they are to get done.

So that's it in a nutshell.

-R

Rick,

Great approach and obviously proven. Leaders do have to own this purpose and ideally inspire others to be leaders and to be all they can be. And yes, people have to work towards common goals by owning them and feeling a part of the mission. Lots to apply from the military. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Humans as a whole fear change and rely on the norm to get by. Any organization that remains stagnant will not last long. So change is inevitable. To be able to lead your team to change you must first secure their buy in. The team must agree that this is a good and feasible endeavor. Then you must continually remind them of this and encourage them. If you can not get your team fired up to not only accept the change but be willing to put extra effort into creating it you have already lost the battle. Motivation is the key to good leadership. By understanding the different personalities of the team you are better prepared to start the spark.

David,
This was a good point that was included in your previous forum comment. Thanks

Dr. Susan Schulz

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."-General George Patton

Jennifer,
Great motto. Perhaps George had more to say. Maybe he told them the outcome or objectives expected or wanted. Maybe he held brainstorming sessions and created an environment for creativity and innovation. There is always more to the story. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Leadership is equal parts listening and and speaking your own ides.

Jacob,
Good points. Easy to implement and direct. I think that leadership is getting everyone to think as a Team. Leadership is about encouraging the Team to think creatively and feel free to challenge the norm. Innovation inspiring is a great leadership quality.
Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sometimes knowing when to lead is more important than leading

Robert,
Interesting comment for thought. I think leadership is getting people on board to contribute fully and think their ideas are valued. Leadership is about building a respectful Team that values the mission of the organization.

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment