Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubrics

Rubrics are wonderful tools to let students know what measures to take in order to get the grade they want.

Lisa,

Yes and it is a great time to understand that when you meet minimum requirements the highest score you can get is a C. When students to minimum amount of work that is C work or average and that is if the work is pretty good.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree they are wonderful tools. Also, if you use the rubric consistently, the grading is done fairly.

Roshawna,

You make a great point, you have to use them. It does take some of the subjectivity out of the assessment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Well written rubrics make it possible to grade subjective assignments against an objective list of criteria. Rubrics should be designed individually for each assignment rather than a general rubric to be used for all assignments. A student should e able to look at the rubric and know what grade they will get based on the criteria given.

Dr. Eileen ,

You are right. Rubrics set expectations for both the student and the instructor. You also make the point of "well written" rubrics. Sometimes not so well written rubrics lead to grade inflation.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

This is very much true. I also believe it lets the student know what is expected of them in order for them to succeed.

Ramonica,

I agree with you and it helps me state consistent in my grading.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Yes they are tools for students to measure to get the grade they want. I believe though that education of the student in the value of the rubric to their own learning is important. I am thinking of asking the student to use the rubric for a project they submit and evaluate their own work. I think this will help the student to understand where they met the requirement and where they can improve. I also equate the importance of students understanding the rubric to the performance evaluation process in the workplace. I tell students that when they are interviewing or considering accepting a job they should ask for the job description as well as the performance evaluation tool up front so they know how they will be evaluated and can prepare from day one.
This will help students to make the connections to the real-world environment. For those who want to put in minimal effort will see the result of the minimal effort both in the classroom and in the workforce.

Mary Kay,
What a great post!!! I love this idea. It will teach them to use criteria to Evaluate their work. You make such a great point in comparing the rubric with learning to evaluate a job evaluation. This is brilliant.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Rubrics are great to work with. When writing them I try to do it from the instructor and student perspective. This ensures the language is clear and the rubric can be used as a tool for both parties.
Paul

Have you ever experienced any disadvantages of using the rubric for assessing the students' assignments such as restricting students'creativity by them adhering to the criteria or students' complaints about the criteria being too complex to follow?

Sign In to comment