Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubrics Role

I have not used this grading system for my math classes. I was wondering how I could apply this method in my program?

Khaison,

Math is tricky. Think about how you give partial credit and start with articulating that.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

In teach a theory based course, I have been unable to mold this to fit the university's requirements.

Randolph,

Why would a theory based course not be able to use a rubric? Do you just use objective exams?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I teach accounting and a grading rubric is often helpful. I have developed rubrics with comments to use in WayPoint and have reduced grading time and increased quality of feedback by all instructors substantially. A quality rubric also provides substantive feedback.

Catherine,

Thank you for sharing your tools. From a workload standpoint, the idea of reduced grading time and increased quality feedback is a win/win.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Rubrics are especially helpful to hand out BEFORE you even grade anything. Show the student what is expected of them and EXACTLY how you grade and they will trust you more because of this grading transparency.

Nicholas ,

You are right. I also discuss at that time what A work is, B work etc. Students tend to think minimum requirements met means A.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Nicholas

This is so true. Giving students a rubric explains to them exactly how they will be graded.

Samantha

Samantha,

I also use this as a way to explain what average work is, what B work is and what A work is. Students seem to think that if they do minimum work they will get an A. WRONG!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I use them all the time in my mathematics classes on line...and I love them.
Four of the five weekly assignments require writing in addition to doing mathematics.

Dehlly,

Don't you think it really guides students to complete the assignment? I really think rubrics are such an important key to student expectation and helps us as evaluators provide productive feedback.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

As I learned years ago from mathematics education conferences, the process of obtaining an answer in math exams is often as important, if not more important, than the correct answer.

We are, after all, not teaching human beings how to be calculators. Rather, how to operate (or perhaps even design and program) calculators. By "calculators" I mean not only the hand-held devices, I mean computers, etc.

Therefore, it is possible to create meaningful rubrics regarding math problems if we look at math as a complex learning process rather than a rigid, right or wrong approach. And that's why I am not in favor of math exams that are strictly multiple choice.

Constantinos,

I love this! You are right. As I tell my students, numbers are adjectives. I need to know how those numbers are used to "describe" what they need to describe. Rubrics would work!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment