Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Summative assessments - good or bad?

With summative assessments, students are evaluated upon completion of the work. Students focus is on the final product. With formative assessments, students are evaluated during the work process. They focus is on improving the process.
One of the dreaded high school "state tests" would be a summative assessment.
There is some controversy over their value. What else could we use to measure students in a meaningful way?
Ms. Cressman

Tina,

Oh, you said the dirty words state testing. In my state, we are really beginning to have the conversation on what is the value of this type of assessment in training a workforce.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I do believe there is research that shows that these "state tests" do not accurately reflect how a student will do in college or grad. school. I think it is important that we create different methods that are more valid in providing this information.

Perhaps we could use a portfolio or a writing assignment. I once heard that getting through school is more about persistence and commitment. I don't know what would measure this but maybe something along those lines.

Samantha,

I think we need multiple points of assessment to truly assess learning and standardized testing doesn't really provide that. I agree with the use of portfolio. It is a great tool.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hi Samantha: Although I work with adult learners and not high schoolers, I love using portfolios. They provide an ongoing view of progress from start to finish for both the student and the instructor. It's a pretty invigorating experience for both to see.

Dr. Vicki,

I love your comments. The portfolio allows students to choose the work that represents their best work. That is such an important skill.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think another tool would be looking at the student in a holistic way with an online portfolio including recommendations from mentors. I think including a record of extracurricular activities such as involvement in projects that give back and contributions students have made to the community would be a helpful tool also.

Margaret,

My institution is using a tool called a co-curricular record that does allow us to capture work such as service learning, Professional development, and/or leadership roles. It is a nice tool to have.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment