Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

technology and the older instructor

As an instructor that is in her 40's, I'm wondering if the new technology will become too much for older teachers.

Lisa,

I am amazed how many "younger" instructors don't want to mess with the technology. We all have to be life long learners!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I too am in my mid 40's and have been teaching in an online platform for over 10 years now. What I have seen so far is an advancement in ease of use. If the technology is too difficult, it is not meeting the needs of the user. Look at the software interface of many programs and operating systems. They have become more and more intuitive over time to open the doors to more users. My wife works as an User Experience Architect. One of her jobs is to ensure that whatever interface she is designing is user friendly. Back in the days of DOS based systems, this was not even thought of. So, I see the evolution of systems, apps and technology overall to be easier and easier to use as we progress over time.

Matthew,

Thank you for sharing your experiences. It seems to me that the 10 years of your teaching, you have continued to explore technology. I see so many educators that were pioneers in the online environment become dinosaurs in the environment. We do have an obligation to keep ourselves current not for us for the students.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Lisa,
I am in my 50's and have been teaching for 30 years... I am so glad I started when it first came out; otherwise, I would have been so lost!
Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

I too love the technology it makes my work load much easier. I almost see them like puzzles trying to determine the best way to use it.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

This is a very real concern. I would tend to think that as technology progresses, those in the younger generation will be more knowledgeable and tech savvy than their predecessors (i.e. those past the mid-thirties). This allows the online education instructors to evolve with each generation. However, as "older" or more "mature" instructors continue to teach online, we must ever sharpen our knowledge and capability to use and maximize the functions of various technology tools. It may be a bit difficult and some what taxing at times, but it is necessary in order to stay ahead of the curve, and to give our best to the each student. I am not the most tech savvy professor either, so I understand, but we learn as we go.

Aundrea,

You make great points. As I teach I am coming to the realization that even the traditional students don't have the skills they think they do. I find when I have them guide another student in technology (yes in an online course) they don't have the skill set, they just have the fearlessness.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

There are always changes and we must keep up with these changes, that goes for any profession.

Cristy,

That is right. Part of the criticism is that we don't change and grow within the profession or in the teaching.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hi Lisa,

This is an interesting question. I am in my late 40's and did not have a problem with using technology as far as the LMS; Blackboard, Angel, e-College, for example. Where I fall short is creating YOU Tube videos and other video mediums to communicate with the students. Although I'm open to the idea of learning, it is a little intimidating, but I'm up for the challenge!

Thanks,
Letitia

I think the older instructors can learn and master technology just as well as the younger instructors. I feel they both (young and older) must have an interest and willingness to want to explore and learn the new technology. Sometime we have that "fear of the unknown". It may take strong encouragement for some instructors to make that change from that old way of thinking and old way of doing things. I think with willingness and patience from our employers and knowledged coworkers to give the proper and thorough training to the younger and older instructors. Not all older instructors will have an interest in learning and keeping up with technology and may very well fall to the wayside by becoming archaic then extinct. I am glad that my employer provide me with these trainings and more to keep me updated as long as I keep the interest.

Sign In to comment