Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reflective Journaling

Has anyone used reflective journaling as an assessment of learning? I understand managing them could be time consuming, but could provide additional benefits such as writing improvement.

Jacquie Porter

Jacquilin,

I have used something similar to this. I actually teaching writing so when I hand back papers, I provide extensive feedback. I make my students review the feedback and then go to the journal feature and tell me three goals they have to improve their next paper based on my feedback. I then go back and review their comments when I grade. I then assign a grade to their journaling at the end of the course by looking at how they used it.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jacquilin, I have used these in different situations, but not all my classes. Once in the introductory course to coding, to really get a feel for what the students were experiencing as they are learning some radical new concepts of what their future careers were going to be like. This little exercise made it easier for me to find the right internship sites. It also showed me those that were struggling with understanding exactly what this career was about and allowed me to direct them to other careers if I felt that conversation needed to take place.

When students really journal the way I feel it was intended, you can get so much information. They were graded on their use, and number of entries.

Alice,

Wow, I hadn't thought about using a reflective journal in that way. What a unique way to engage with students and find them a good match. That is so important to their success.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I was actually a student where my professor used reflective journaling. I was quite skeptical at the beginning, as I was not sure what I would get out of the exercise. We were using it in a learning how to learn course, and it helped me focus my educational goals in the course and it also helped the instructor find out where her students were coming from and what needed to be modified in the classroom so we were getting the most out of the material. Since then I have used a modified version of this in the class, having student reflect on material just presented, an then I respond to their journals by the next class period. It helps me see what I have covered well, where students are lost, and how to diversify my instruction moving forward.

Lisa,

Can you see yourself using it? I actually use journaling to have students to analyze the feedback given to them by me. It makes them read through them and act on them.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Journals tend not to carry a lot of weight on the final grade... neither do online discussions.

Alone, each activity may be completed hastily or without much thought, so why not tie the two together?

The reflective journal could contrast opposing viewpoints with another student or some how relate to the discussion board topic.

Thoughts?

Christina,

I think that is a great idea. You could use a Blog function to make it work if you wanted.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have used Reflective Journaling successfully in several online courses. I titled the assignment "Lessons Learned". Students were able to reflect on what they expected from the weekly lesson and establish how far they had come along in learning. As you mentioned, it is another opportunity to practice writing skills as well. In an online environment, this enables to students to really gain some 'buy-in' with their education.

Michelle,

That is such a great strategy. Students do need to reflect on what they have learned. I actually use the journaling feature for students to reflect on the feedback I give them and how that feedback will improve their writing.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment