Tools, Technology, and Challenges | Origin: EL122
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
Live Online Teaching: Tools and Techniques for Engagement --> Tools, Technology, and Challenges
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
I would like to hear how you use polls, chat, breakout rooms, or screen sharing to encourage meaningful participation. Have any tools made an activity more difficult, and how did you adapt?
This module helped me understand that digital tools are most effective when they support a clear learning objective. Chat, polls, breakout rooms, and screen sharing can each encourage participation, but the activity needs clear instructions and a meaningful purpose. I also learned the value of alternating short presentations with opportunities for students to practice, discuss, and demonstrate their understanding.
I intend to apply these ideas in my classes. For example, I could use a poll to check students’ understanding of a marketing concept, then have small groups develop a promotional strategy in breakout rooms. Each group would share its ideas, explain its decisions, and receive feedback from classmates.
I will also plan for technical challenges by posting instructions in advance and providing an alternative way to participate, such as responding in chat if a student cannot access a breakout room.
This module taught me to shift from simply delivering content to actively facilitating learning. I realized that lecturing through dense topics causes cognitive overload and kills engagement. I plan to apply this by intentionally matching digital tools to my learning objectives.
This module helped me understand that I should choose digital tools based on what I want students to do. A poll can check understanding, chat can gather short responses, and screen sharing can help me demonstrate a process. I also learned the value of testing tools beforehand and having a backup plan.
In my next live online math class, I will demonstrate a problem, give students a similar one to try, and use a poll to check their answers. If the poll does not work, I will ask them to respond in chat. I will use their responses to decide what needs more explanation.
What I learned from this module is that technology can make online learning way more interactive, but only if you actually use the tools with a purpose. Things like polls, chat, breakout rooms, and whiteboards can help keep students engaged instead of having them just sit there and listen.