Interactive Strategies That Keep Learners Engaged | Origin: EL122
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
Live Online Teaching: Tools and Techniques for Engagement --> Interactive Strategies That Keep Learners Engaged
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
This module reinforced that engagement in live online teaching needs to be planned intentionally. Delivering information alone does not tell me whether students understand it. Short explanations followed by purposeful interaction give students opportunities to participate and help me identify where they need additional support. I also learned that interactive tools are most effective when they have clear instructions and connect directly to the learning objective.
I intend to break longer lectures into smaller segments and follow each segment with a chat question, poll, or practical activity. .
I would use their responses to decide whether to clarify a concept or move forward. This approach would help me become a more effective facilitator while giving students more opportunities to apply concepts, learn from their peers, and demonstrate their understanding.
This module has fundamentally shifted my perspective on how I design and deliver live online classes. My biggest takeaway is the necessity of moving from being a "content deliverer" to an active "learning facilitator." I realized that when I try to push through dense entertainment business topics like film distribution financials or backend profit participation using a traditional lecture format, student engagement drops and cognitive overload sets in.
I also learned the immense value of intentional "chunking." Breaking content into short, manageable segments and immediately pairing them with interactive tools is not just a nice-to-have; it is essential for keeping the virtual classroom alive.
This module taught me that interaction in a live online class needs a clear purpose. Polls can quickly show what students understand, while chat and breakout rooms give more students a chance to share their thinking. Activities work best when the instructions are simple and connected to the lesson goal.
In my next online math class, I plan to explain a concept briefly, ask students to answer a poll or chat question, and then give them a problem to try. I will use their responses to decide whether to clarify the concept or move forward.