Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Foundations of Engaging Live Online Teaching | Origin: EL122

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Live Online Teaching: Tools and Techniques for Engagement --> Foundations of Engaging Live Online Teaching

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

One of the biggest things I learned from this module is that teaching online shouldn't simply be taking what I would do in a traditional classroom and moving it to Zoom. Students need opportunities to participate and interact with the material instead of spending most of the class listening to a lecture or watching a presentation.

Going forward, I want to be more intentional about breaking up my presentations with questions, polls, discussions, breakout rooms, and activities. I also want to pay closer attention to whether students are actually understanding the material rather than focusing on how much content I was able to cover during the class.

Another thing I took away from this module is the importance of reflecting on what worked and what didn't after each class. I can use student responses, quizzes, chat discussions, and even AI-generated session summaries to identify areas where students were engaged or where they may have struggled.

My goal is to think of myself less as someone delivering information and more as someone guiding the learning experience. I still need to provide students with the information they need, but I also need to give them opportunities to discuss it, apply it, and learn from each other.

This module really shifted my perspective on how I run my live online classes. I realized I was sometimes falling into the trap of just delivering content, especially when covering dense topics like film distribution financials. My biggest takeaway is the importance of shifting from being the sole source of information to actively facilitating the learning process.
 
I intend to apply this immediately by leaning more heavily on tools like GeminiLM to support my students. Instead of just reteaching complex homework concepts the same way, I am now using GeminiLM to build customized learning aids. For example, I prompt it to translate heavy industry jargon into relatable entertainment business analogies. I also use it to generate step by step assignment scaffolds so students have a clear roadmap to complete their work without me just handing them the answers.

This module helped me see that engagement in live online teaching must be planned. I cannot rely on facial expressions or silence to tell me whether students understand. I also learned that long lectures can make it harder for students to stay focused.

I plan to teach in shorter segments and give students frequent opportunities to respond in chat, discuss an idea, or work through a problem. I will set clear expectations for participation and allow time for students to think before answering. These changes will help me check their understanding and adjust the lesson as we go.

I learned that a structured online lesson balances content, interaction, and reflection. By organizing sessions with clear objectives, digestible segments, interactive elements, and reflection points, we the instructors can create a dynamic environment. 

I learned that effective educational leadership requires clear communication, strategic thinking, collaboration, and the ability to adapt to changing institutional needs. I also learned the importance of supporting faculty and staff while keeping student success and organizational goals at the center of decision-making. I intend to apply these concepts in my academic leadership role by strengthening communication, encouraging collaboration, making informed decisions, and creating an environment that supports continuous improvement.
 

Sign In to comment