Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How does one engage a student that does not speak English well?

I have students from another part of the world and ask for an instructor who speaks Spanish or other language. How does one deal with students who lack English communication?

I'd try to focus on terms that the student was familiar with and also use images as much as possible. For example, an image of the colon with the word "colon" next to it should be easy to learn.

Marie

There are a number of translation programs that can be utilized to clarify what you are saying in your instructions where they translate English into the students first language.  I recommend getting them to use English as much as possible but this is a tool that can be used if they don't understand your instructions or comments.  The translation programs are free.

David

Reply to Marie Moran's post: I strongly agree. The use of images is very useful when someone is learning in a different language. also, the use of videos/audios for the class or  links to blogs and articles related to the topics facilitate the process.

You can ask the students at the beginning of the course what would be the preferred learning style and that would give you an idea on how to approach those students.

Sign In to comment