Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How to react to poor behavior

How can blogging be restricted or controlled by the instructor if there is bad behavior present?

If bad behavior is present, the instructor can politely remind the offender on and offline to show other students that type of behavior is not tolerated. The instructor could also possibly block the user as well if the problem persists.

Milka,

First, you have to set the expectations before the exercise. You make sure they know the expectations. You may even have them sign a behavior contact. You monitor it carefully. It is a risk.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Ramonica,

You can block it. You can hold the students accountable through grades also.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Can you also delete anything inappropriate? This would be my concern as well because students might think of it as a more informal atmosphere rather than an academic setting. I agree with Kelly that setting clear expectations and holding students accountable would be top priority.
Stephanie

Stephanie,

Yes you can but I would also make sure students understand the consequences of posting something that is inappropriate. I would also provide students examples of inappropriate posting. I am surprised students don't always know what is inappropriate.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree with blocking the student however, the student should also be held accountable .

I've never had a student be offensive in an aggressive manner. However, when students complete a group assignment they can become upset with slackers. Often times they will voice their opinions in our Discussion threads.

Jeanette,

You make a great point. You have to set expectation hold everyone to them. I find students are leery of faculty saying that as it doesn't always happen.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree that poor behavior on the classroom blog should be addressed immediately both in public and private. Just like the discussion boards, I tell my students that it is very important to understand what it means to provide constructive feedback and what that looks like. It is very important for students to learn how to respect one another’s thoughts and learn how to disagree intelligently if that is the case.

Apart of what I teach in my ethics class is to ensure students that it is up to them to learn how to become better communicators and it starts with their ability to provide another form of getting their point across without being disrespectful and argumentative.

Deduction of points can be a way to curb inappropriate behavior as well as incorporating a disciplinary system. The course is still included in a normal academic curriculum, which typically has guidelines in place for unacceptable student behavior.

I start classes by complimenting out-of-the-box posts and access the blog in class/highlight specific posts that represent the type of content/formatting that I expect for the class.

I think that the instructor setting the ground rules in the beginning of the course will provide students with the expectations. I also think that modeling good and bad behavior would also help the students understand what is expected. It is also important for the students to know the consequences of bad behavior. Then the instructor must be willing to follow through with the consequences of any bad behavior. Once the students see that bad behavior is not tolerated and in fact, reprimanded, this should reduce future incidences.

Sign In to comment