Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Purposes of Blogs

Why is a blog a good educational tool?

It is a place the students can express themselves,learn from others, mentor and be mentored. It can be controlled and free at the same time. It widens the "classroom" and allows learning to happen without walls on may types of
devices.

Doni,

Well, I LOVE how you articulated the purpose of blogs. It can also be device agnostic!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I encourage students to have a blog as part of their
portfolio. It helps fix the knowledge in their brain an employers like to see them as well.

A well executed blog can establish the writer as an expert over time.

Blogs have many uses in an educational setting. Personally, I feel that any tool that will assist students in developing their writing and critical thinking skills is an opportunity that should be pursued and encouraged. Blogs can be designed to assess skills at each level of Bloom's Taxonomy, which can prove useful at the undergraduate and graduate levels. An often under used activity in the classroom is that of reflection and providing this type of blog activity allows the student to realize their progress and accomplishments throughout the course.

Richard,

Good point; and it would give them a chance to explain why the objective was an example of some learning concept.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Richard,

True, it does establish credibility. It can also go the other way. . . .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Gloria,

You are so right. You have to have a plan for the tool and that includes assessment!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

A blog is a good educational tool because it can provide varying perspectives on a subject matter allowing the student to see other points of view as well as provide their own personal point of view on a topic that is of extreme interest/value to them.

mary,

True, I agree with you. It does provide a venue for communication. We just have to make sure that we hold them to standards regarding the assignment.s

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Blogging can be integrated in a multi-faceted way to accomodate all types of learners.

The form of blog writing tends to be more personal. Students will link their meaning of academic material to their own lives and experiences. This could result in more candid and personal discourse among the class.

Kelly,

A blog is a good educational tool because it is the great equalizer of voiced content. Even the shyest, or most nervous student, can create a blog and have their thoughts posted and communicated. In this way, there are no real "class distinctions" among students. Each voice can be heard within its own time and place.

- Dr. Eileen Wibbeke

Elizabeth,

That is true, as long as it has a purpose and students know the expectations.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Casey,

That is such an interesting thought. I would love to see students take the learning and apply it to their real world experiences. That is what learning is about.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Eileen,

You make such a great point. A blog can be "faceless" give a voice to the student that may not always engage.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Blogs have a great potential for learning to be participatory. Expectations about what is required and how their blogs will be assessed is foundational, but there is also a freedom to express, create and collaborate. Learning together is so much more effective than the classical "lecture" method. Students retain and "own" self-created learning!

Thomas,

I agree with you. You seem to have a vision on how to use it. It does validate student learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I find blogging to be a good educational tool for two reasons: voice and authentic audience. Every students (of all ages) has an opportunity to develop his or her voice using blogs and if public (which I encourage), they can gain an authentic audience for his/her ideas.

Sign In to comment