Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Social Network

Should students be required to attend online activities that are a part of the course? Many times, chats are optional but yet they are very beneficial.

Roshawna,

I think you can but it does take away the anytime learning that makes online learning so powerful. I do think virtual office offices or virtual appoints with groups may be beneficial.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree that it takes away from flexibility that many of the students need. One on one interaction is important however but I think it is as much the responsibility of the instructor as the student to work out a time to do so.

Ron

Ron,

I agree. it is the instructor who sets the communication tone.
Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Students should be required to attend online activities to enhance the learning experience. The messaging or use of the word "optional" creates confusion among students. Perhaps saying, attendance is optional is a better way to stress the importance of attending or reviewing the online activities than saying it is optional. Since most online activities can be accessed 24/7 if recorded and archived. What is important is the information not whether or not they attend at a specific time and place.

Sloan,

I agree with you. For the millennials, the term "optional" means "I don't go". You have to make it meaningful for students and for many that means requiring or assignment points to action. I hate it but it is a reality. I want a student center course to be student responsible for their learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree that it is a responsibility for both. A time can be agreed on that works for both of them. I have experienced the improvement in a student's participation once we have had a one-on-one appointment.

Joan,

That is a great strategy. They will learn they are not alone. Did you do this through a chat or a face time tool?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment