Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lesley,

I agree with you and I am finding this increasingly difficult. I also find that when you work with an international population, you must really impressive this important issue.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Michael,

You are right. I find students think they can say anything as "they have the right to" . I really have began enforcing the expectations as I have had some escalation in poor tone and bullying in online communication. I am not a fan of zero tolerance but I come close to it regarding poor communication.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

When you look at an online class, media hosting policies have been developed to foster a positive outcome with the use of social media as well as follow the academic integrity regulations that has been developed by the university. All policies should be clearly stated so that each student understands them and ramifications if they do not follow them.

When students read your policies, they should be able to:

- get a sense that the institution is interested in their well-being.
- see a connection with other policies, such as the code of conduct, and realize that laws apply to digital spaces as well.
- understand the purpose of the hosting/sharing sites.
- recognize the value sharing.
- identify positive behaviors such as respect, responsibility, etc.
- identify negative actions and consequences for such actions.
- recognize their role and the role of the instructor.

What I would be looking for is professionalism. The message I want students to receive when using any media site or social networking is not to post anything that a future employer would not want to see on the front page of the New York Times. So, any policies / code of conduct that I have been involved in writing have that end goal. Do not embarrass yourself or future employers by your actions. I try to explain to them that a media site or portfolio can help you get a job but it can also prevent you from getting your dream job.

-Chris

Simone,

You are so RIGHT! You should have polices and place and hold students and yourself to them. It amazes me how many people will just "do it" without a framework of expectation. Your strategy is great.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dr. Christopher,

I love your statements. You must have a policy in place as well as expectations of the students and of the instructor. I also point students to stories (and there are many) about social media blunders.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

They should at least understand how to use the functionality and also issues of security if applicable, and netiquette. There should be a rubric so that they can know beforehand what is applicable in hosting and sharing, aligned with class objectives.

Students should understand that the classroom is a professional venue to post relavent information pertaining to the curriculum as well as respect for one another's views and opinions.

Dr. Wilkinson,

I do think that students should be directed as to what is appropriate to share and when. A lot of my students like to express their opinions freely at all times and I have to inform them some thoughts should be shared at different times and occasions.

Sign In to comment