Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Free speech in social media

We alway ask students to think about what they post before they post and to be careful of their audience, but at times we get the "fere speech should not be restricted" response. I wonder how do we convey to the student that it is not a restriction on free speech but a recommendation for protecting their reputation since so many things can be misconstrued(?)

Milka,

I have used examples of "open mouth insert foot" that are in the media. The great example this week is the Microsoft exec that said women should not ask for a raise, the should depend on Karma. The comments were on Twitter before he could finish his speech. Did he have the right to say it? Sure, did he believe? Probably. But what will be the cost for him. Free speech does not absolve people from consequences.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Milka,
I agree with you! Allowing students to express their opinions can be risky.. It can also me an opportunity for us to learn a students prospective.

In my class I always have the students to stay clear of religion, politics and sexual orientation.

As our instructor stated in her post social media can have a very serious impact on a person's character.

Jeanette,

I really focus the social media to deal with ONLY

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Powerless people do not care about their reputation because they have no power to protect. Only powerful people protect their reputation. It is no surprise that powerless individuals say what they think regardless of the consequences. However, as people become empowered, and the society changes, I think that people will think before they type. I do believe that it will be a gradual process, one of learning to be responsible. Right now, most people abdicate their power to elites, and they feel free to write whatever they desire. It is one of the consequences of preventing people from exercising their own personal power.

Donald L. Buresh

What and where is the risk? If you are afraid of people expressing their opinions, then keep them ignorant and do not empower them, for expressing an opinion, however foolish it may be, is the consequence of empowerment. Please remember that you can ignore reality, but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. My advice is to trust in people to speak the truth, even when it is uncomfortable.

Donald L. Buresh

Students should be free to voice their opinions and viewpoints as long as they are mindful of what they are posting. Freedom of speech should allow people to openly discuss issues with the notion to agree to disagree at times. With that said, students should not post anything that would put them in a negative light. I want my students to voice their opinions with keeping in mind that they must maintain their integrity at all times.

Sign In to comment