Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What the "six degrees of separation" concept mean in social networking

The "six degrees of separation" in social networking simply means that once you join a social network site or sites,, you have the opportunity to connect with friends, family members, old classmates; as well as meet other people around the world. If you are a business owner, this is a great way to connect with customers, add new customers, as well a advertise your business to the world.

Yes I would agree. This is a tool that can be used to connect old and new friends. It can be used to develop an ambassador or mentor program to students who are doing online courses. Its a great tool to use to get out and reach markets and areas in which you normally wouldn't reach.

Rickey,

I LOVE your idea. That is a great way to create mentoring programs for your distance students. This would really make this so powerful and rewarding for everyone.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Aldgenette,

That is so true. We need to start working with our students to think about how to use social media professionally. It can be such a great way to develop contacts and networking opportunities.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Great idea about the mentoring. What type of qualifications would a mentor have? Would they be trained specifically in social media, for example, something similar to this course?

Carla,

I would use the guidelines provided by an internship coordinator. Use what you have for f2f mentorship and adapt it. I would provide a tutorial of what is expected and develop separate facebook pages or blogs. It would work!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment