Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

principles of learning

I think it is finding the proper amount of time to study. Students need to ensure they are reading the materials in the class, watching the videos and lectures, reading the book, etc. in order to ensure they are properly engaged in the classroom.

Terri,

I agree with you! I find students are underestimate the amount of times it takes to complete a homework assignment as well as prepare for learning. This is a hard lesson for us to teach and for them to learn.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hi Kelly and Class,
I find that many students assume they can skip the reading and attempt the work blindly! It is a bit baffling to me, especially in the subject of math. I've never thought it would be appropriate to try to guess my way through any topic that would be, in many ways, similar to learning a foreign language.

Do you have any tactics for firmly, but kindly imploring your students to complete the reading? A common excuse I hear is that the reading is too confusing. Next would be that the multimedia resources are also too confusing. It seems near impossible to for me to understand how one would expect to "upload" information, understanding and analysis into an assignment without first "downloading" the facts.

Sincerely,
Eugenia

Eugenia,

I am afraid that some of this behavior is a product of high school. Students don't always know the "proper" way to study. I provide a video that gives students a guide to be successful in the course. I have started providing comments from students who were successful in the course previously to share their strategies for success in the class and make those available.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Terri,

Although the online classroom environment provides tremendous flexibility of time and place of study, it is critical students understand time management.

Kenneth

It is critical for students to establish a pattern of course activities allowing for the planning and management of other non-course activities around their online learning activities. The key is finding the balance between online class activities and the rest of life. I have found students who establish a pattern of posting and interacting within the course throughout the week enables the student to develop a plan of study simply by participation.

Kenneth Terrell

Kenneth,

That is so true. I started creating calendars for my students with the intent of helping them plan accordingly.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Kenneth,

You make a great point. They need to get into a routine as much as we do in the online course. Your idea of them creating a plan of study is great. I am going to use that!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree with you! At times though, I think students see their course agenda and either do not have a proper grasp on the amount of time that will need to be allotted and as a result, they skim the surface. Our institution provides a weekly roadmap with all the steps that students must complete (reading materials, video presentations, discussion posts, assignments, and tests). I encourage students to print out a copy of the roadmap so that they can use it as a check list. Each time they've completed one of the steps, then they can check it off from their to-do list.

Many of my students have jumped around and generally skip steps so I always try to remind them that this is the time to get the most out of their education and embody the knowledge that is being provided to them. After all, this education is preparing them for real-life experiences they they will encounter in their careers.

Chezree,

I love the weekly roadmap aspect! That is such a great idea. I also think it is important to remind students that they did successfully complete an assignment. It is a great idea that you provide them guidance regarding their coursework plans.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment