Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Forced chat

Does anyone find that the ability to access live chat at anytime will sometimes discourage those that would attend in person from attending? It seems that there are times when the students can attend and have no restraints on schedule and still do not attend merely because they want to be able to fast forward through a recording at another time rather than sitting through class and asking questions? How do you avoid such response?

Milka,

I don't use forced chat as it takes away of the anytime anywhere benefit of online. I know many institutions require chats. I am sure you have read the posts from others saying no one comes to chat. If you have more nontraditional students it may work. If you make it worth points or a grade it seems to work.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Milka,
I think this is a very good point. I don't think by forcing a student into a chat will accomplish anything as far as getting the student engaged. Many do not learn much when you are forcing the student to "learn" via chat. Good question

Sarah,

That is an interesting point. My disclaimer is I am not a fan of chat as I find students do not prepare for a chat. I would rather engage them in discussion and require them to bring research to the conversations.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I don't think so mainly because one of the big draws of many online classes is simply the fact that, unlike a bricks and mortar school where classes are scheduled, the online environment allows the student to select the most viable times for "attending" class. This is especially important for adult learners who have jobs, families, etc.

Harry,

I agree with you. I am surprised that many courses require faculty to have synchronous chats. I guess you can call them office hours. I do hold virtual office hours but I think the appeal to online learning is anytime, anywhere learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I absolutely agree with you that the student will not necessarily learn from doing a "forced" chat. This actually seems to intimidate students and they are more likely to not participate which will result in an incomplete grade.

Ashley,

I think you provide multiple ways of engagement with your student. It may be just as effective to communicate asynchronously.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Students do not attend live chats for many reasons. For example, they may be too busy to attend a live chat at 8:00 AM on Tuesday morning because they are working or are taking a child to daycare, etc. If a student gets off work at 3:00 AM, then that may be the best time for him or her to watch an archived live chat. That's one of the benefits of being an online student.

Ed,

I agree. It does surprise me how many programs require chat when students aren't always available.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I don't think it discourages them,especially when the school doesn't make it a requirement but only recommends that the student attends. I find it frustrating that I am required to do them and no one shows up and I agree that they might have the time to show up but why would they when they can listen to the archives and fast forward what they don't want to hear.

How does one avoid this? I was told if the chats were more interesting then they would come, but of course the classes with the highest chat retention rate are those in the art/design department. When your teaching project management, it can be a bit of a challenge. So I assume the more interesting and interactive the chat is the more engaging it will be. In return more students will come.

Lori,

I find with students, unless there are points assigned or required to do something they will not do it. At least that is my experience. Can you make it more worth their while such as a small group with an assignment tied to it? That might work.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment