Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning online with no computer skills

I appreciate that this section shared that a number of online learners are not comfortable using technology. I recall when I first found out that I had students who "never had a computer" and those who never used the internet or Microsoft products I was stunned, however over the years have come to realize this is something that will continue to happen over and over.

In my first term class I teach one class a week, which allows me to review the concept for a large portion of the time we share and use the last 20-30 minutes for assignment details and "how to" elements. In week one I share how to save a file and where to upload it, week two how to create formatting, etc. Each week they are taken out to my desktop to share step by step processes, which they can follow by going back to the recording when class ends.

I know this has been very helpful for many, however I am thinking about creating these to play in the classroom and always have available. Has anyone done this? If so, did you find it easiest to create in Adobe, JING or some other program?

Thanks for your thoughts and insights.

Yes, learning online can be intimidating to any new student. As instructors, we need to find ways to make this transition as smooth as possible. My best practice is letting all of my students to reach out to me with any concerns/issues. In fact, I provide them with my cell phone number.

Karen,

I am shocked when I hear students taking online courses without computers. This sets students up for failure and the pressure the instructor to help when the best help is a computer. I think we have to have frank discussions about that. I do use JING or other screen capture software. It is a great way to introduce yourself and walk them through a course. It is good practice.
Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Matthew,

That is your choice and if it works for you that is great. I stopped giving my phone number out as I had nontraditional students not using the LMS and participating in discussion. You have to use what works for your courses and your students.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

While I appreciate the information contained within these courses, much of the work does not pertain to for-profit schools as we are given the platform and have specific guidelines and syllabi we follow in the classroom. As well, there is no qualifications required for entry, so computer or not - computer literate or not, everyone has the opportunity to enter our schools. While this is an amazing opportunity for many, there are times that a student comes in thinking they can do all the work on their smart-phone and that can lead to challenges. When I was a Dean this was a continuous disagreement between Admissions and Education, as I suspect it will be for a long time to come. :-(

Depending on the school you work for, this is not always an option Dr. Kelly. I am what is called a FT adjunct, as I cannot find one FT job so I have 3 PT ones and in two of those three I am REQUIRED to give my phone number and be available to students within 24 hours of their call. While this sounds like a good idea in theory, we are not teaching the student to use the numerous resources that the schools provide.

In the one school where I am not required to give out my personal info (not only our phone number, but personal email address are requirements in the other two), the school promotes helping the student to locate resources and become a more self sufficient learner, which is key to a successful online student.

I have found in the past, giving out personal info can be a bad thing because the student then becomes dependent on you to always be there and never becomes self reliant.

Karen,

That is a great post. You are right, many of the institutions have "out of the box" courses with no deviation. This is to keep the standards equal and anyone can teach it. The other issue is when students try to do the work on other media including a computer at the library, the instructor is usually blamed regarding the "technology failure" when it was never the technology.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Karen,

Do you become frustrated with this? I also know the life of an adjunct is not glamorous. It is really difficult particularly when you piece "gigs" together.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Not frustrated, but overwhelmed at times. I think the schools need to understand what hiring an adjunct, versus a full time instructor means. Of late the constant changes and [almost] daily "new" things to follow can be difficult to keep track of. As well, many schools underestimate the time it takes to grade and time to get all the moving parts working. Even though my classes are standardized, I add a great deal of my own touches - I have considered no longer doing so due to the time involved (and having it rarely appreciated by the schools themselves) but I like giving a bit more.

In one school they estimate that it will take 2-3 hours to grade, however I am still trying to figure out how you can have unique grading for over 50 students, two assignments weekly, in under 3 hours - it takes me approximately 15 minutes per assignment, per student [to read, construct, proof and finalize feedback] which would be 15 * 2 * 30 (lets say not everyone does their work) which is 900 minutes or 15 hours of grading per class. Add that to 1-3 hours daily to respond to emails, get in discussion boards, post announcements, etc (I rarely take off more than one day a week, if I do) at the average that is an added 14 hours a week, for a total of 29 hours a week in one class. If I attempt to teach 4 classes so I can live on the wage, that is 116 hours a week at work. Leaving me 52 hours for the week to sleep, eat, shower, have a life. Wow...I might have just convinced myself again it may be time to get a job at McDonald's. lol

Sorry, as you can see this is a hot button. :-)

This has never been the case in any of my online schools and I have worked for about 10 online schools over the years. The bigger challenge online is the schools' expectation that the adjunct has the time to reach out to every student that does not show up to class. This is added work to someone who is doing this part time, though not something I have never run into in ground schools either. :-)

Karen,

I can't imagine how frustrating it is for you and other adjuncts. NPR's Diane Rehm show had a podcast that discussed the plight of adjuncts. Oh, by the way, you are responsible for student success! Good teaching of any kind takes time.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Karen,

That is interesting. Why don't we do this for our f2f students. We have to make students responsible for their own learning. That means they have to be ready to learn.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree! Now if we could get everyone (including some teachers that make those of us that take the time) to realize, you cannot "do this" in an hour or two! :-)

Thanks for your comments Dr. Kelly.

Sorry I am not clear on what this is a response to. As indicated this is also done in f2f, however while I agree students should be contacted at the start, once we are in week 4 of 5 or 7 of 9 and the student has not yet chosen to engage, blaming the instructor for "not doing their job" whether ground or online is unfair.

Karen,

I am surprise how much responsibility is placed on instructors regarding to student learning; particularly in a student center environment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree, I think we do a great disservice when we spoon feed students. I agree for first term we must aid them more than in other courses, however in one school I am "allowed" for lack of a better word, to point students in the direction however in another school it is frowned upon.

If we do not teach students how to identify resources and seek out the answers, we are not creating a collegial environment...just my humble opinion. :-)

Karen,

There is an article in the Chronicle that talks about colleges not preparing students and I think we have to be careful as students will try to get others to do their work many times. We want them to learn the technology as they will use it again!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree with you when you spoke about being stunned that some students have vey little to no computer knowledge. I to have experienced that in my online teaching and have found that their limited knowledge can create problems in the online educational world.

Chantee ,

You are right. I used to think I just would tell students it was their issue as the lack of computer skills will be a barrier. Now, I may not work on the skill set but I have tutorials and videos to help remediate the situation.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Its important for teachers not to assume that every student has the same knowledge of computers. As each student receives their first computer at different times in their lifes, parents who have assisted them with programs or even how they might or might not even used a computer in their high schoo.

Sign In to comment