Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

online conduct

I set the tone by leading by example. It is okay to agree to disagree. You can also set the rules up front as to what type of conduct is permitted in the online classroom so there is no question as to what needs to be done.

Terri,

The netiquette is such an important part of the course. You have to set the expectation and hold students to it.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

In a word, NETIQUETTE. Students need to understand the FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN. Unlike a face-to-face environment, in which there are smiles, bonds, etc. is an environment less conducive to misunderstandings.

Online users are unknown entities, and that is most often where misunderstandings occur.

Even use of CAPITAL LETTERS often is associated with SHOUTING, whereas in many cases, there is simply no friendlier device available, like italics. :-)

Constantinos,

Great post. You have to hold them to it. I am finding more and more when I hear instructors complaining about the conduct of their students ( it doesn't matter the type of course delivery) they have rules to address it in their syllabus but don't hold their students to it. Who's fault is it then?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dr. Wilkinson,

If I could count the number of times I had to mentioned netiquette. This spans over the dBoards and email communication, but more specifically with email communication.

Kenneth

Appropriate academic conduct translates into maintaining a safe learning environment based on mutual respect which includes using proper capitalization, spelling, and grammar. Online learning can seem overwhelming at first; therefore, I also stress the responsibility of honesty in submitting their work.

Kenneth Terrell

Kenneth,

It can and it is up to the instructor to keep the experience in perspective. Expectations must be set and enforced.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Kenneth,

You do have to stay on students regarding expectations. There are too many lessons learned in the media about poor communication.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

One of my first goals for students to understand and appreciate is the element of "critical thinking' which I present in both the initial live chats, announcements and articles, encouraging them to be balance in research, conclusions and responses. This allows for mutual respect between differing opinions, with potential for a number of ways to do things right, or develop enhanced concepts and theories. I find, when students are treated this way, then tend to have professional, or at least "appreciative' respect for others, leading to appropriate communications.

Steven,

Nice post. You have great strategies to ensure students respect the ideas of others. Civil discourse seems to be in short supply in our current culture. Sometimes student feel too "empowered" to say what they mean particularly in the online environment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

One of my most challenging experiences was a cyber bully in my course. He felt very strong that some of the women in the class were beneath him and began bullying them in the discussion boards. When that did not provide him satisfaction then he went after their emails, and when he was blocked from all communication from the course he then came after me.

It was an unusual situation because he had never had the issue in any of the prior coursework. This was the last course that he was to take to graduate and I had to report him to my supervisors.

In this situation I took immediate action so that the problem could be resolved. If I had not acted I do not know how the course would have evolved. We as instructors my be the directors and leaders.

Patricia,
Wow, what an experience you had! You did what you had to do. How has this changed your course? Did it change what you put in your syllabus.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment