Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Time Management

It is so important to have good time management skills for online learners. How do you approach a student that does not have time management skills?

Roshawna,

I begin by providing them a calendar (Google or Outlook) and start to plan a schedule of work. They are to add their schedule. We then start to "wean" them off my schedule and they begin to use theirs.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I am fortunate to have an LMS that allows the students to see exactly what is due at what time and when. I am required- and I think it's a good idea- to post a chart of what comes when int eh term so the students can really see when everything is due. I ask them to email me if they have any issues with teh deadlines and I post an announcement about deadlines before my class even opens.

If a student is late by a day, and has notified me I don't reduce the grade. If it shows as a pattern I address it as a problem and seek to intervene with the student's advisor. usually that helps. Mostly the students I teach are upper classmen so they are already pretty good at managing time.

Jennifer,

You seem to have a very strong strategy regarding student work. Do you have your expectations articulated in your syllabus?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

One of the main things that I stress is that we all have "Life" to deal with. We all have things that come up, but we must settle into a routine that will let us get our work done. I let them know I understand but I still have an expectation of completeness when it comes to the assignments. I encourage the use of lists, calendars, or notes to focus them on what needs to be done and when.

Berrie,

You are right. We do have an important role in facilitating students ability to manage time. I actually create Outlook calendar to help them manage work.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I would normally recommend for the student to try writing things down into a calendar or keep notes/a schedule of what needs to be completed,
Encouraging them to pace themselves and try not to become too overwhelmed.

Elivett,

That is true, I actually begin by creating the calendar at first then they have to start adding their entries. I also encourage them to use their phones to connect to their calendar. They will look at their phone before their computers. . .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Working closely and prioritize their tasks has helped. Students who have issues with time management can benefit from creating steps to the project in order to deliver on time

I look for something of value to the student and tie time management to it. Most students have a mobile device of some type, be it a mobile phone, iPad, laptop, etc. I have the students install a calendar on their device. Each week, they must enter the assignments on their calendars with reminders. Because they value the mobile technology, they'll most likely respond to a reminder on the device. During class, we'll review who responded to the reminder and if it helped them to get their work done. This is done to encourage others to do the same when they see the positive benefits.

I think it is important to be able to relate to your student and show them that you have been in their shoes. Explain to them that they need to find a time that works for their schedule. Maybe early morning or late nights will work when the children are in bed? Explain what worked for you in the past.

I think you need to have strong communications skills and demonstrate that this course is possible and you will help the student with planning their schedule.

I have developed a special recorded video presentation that discusses time management and the importance of having a time management plan. In my video I provide recommendations and suggestions that students can use for successful time management in my courses.

Dealing with life issues is a key issue with time management. Students have to learn to be flexible and yet stay focused and get their work done.

Do you recommend an embedded electronic calendar that is on their computer and phone or an old school calendar?

I start with helping them create a course calendar and have them include their personal and professional time commitments also. I have them focus on how and when they will have school incorporated into their existing "schedule." I help them focus on daily to weekly planning, following the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People aspects.

Sign In to comment