Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Will we soon submit verbal Social Media responses in online classes?

I believe that time will tell if students are learning from our online Discussion topics.  I believe that moving to an established Social Media tool like Facebook for discussions is out of policy for most schools, so we will continue with the 'in-house' secure discussions for years to come.   

What I am wondering is, once everyone becomes familiar with the online WRITTEN discussions, will we see more of the VERBAL video discussions?  It does seem that our students need to gain more skill & knowledge of how to present themselves with VERBAL communication.   However, a video & photograph of oneself online is a step beyond privacy.

Do you think we will see more VERBAL video discussions in our online classrooms?

I do believe we will soon submit verbal social media responses in the online classroom. Social media and technology are changing rapidly. For example, with What's App, we can either text or talk to each other. This application is used by many individuals to communicate between boarders, such as the someone living in New York speaking or texting someone living in Argentina. Its free communication whereas in the past long distance charges would be collected for overseas calls. Many students struggle financially and would benefit by using What's App to communicate with their instructors, the school and classmates.

Written questions or responses have an inherent buffer or filter.  Since speech is so easy, random questions with obvious answers are too easy to fire off.  I give my students 5 seconds to contemplate their question, and even repeat it back to them.  Often, the answer was right in front of them.  

Also, yes/no questions are too easy to answer and it will take longer to deduce that a core concept has not been understood.  It might take a student to verbally ask the same question three times before some red flags pop up.  However, on a written response test, it's easy to see if a student is doing well.

Unless the program subject is verbally oriented, I don't think acceptable verbal responses will be wide spread.

Sign In to comment