Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Enhancing a sense of community...

I like the idea of referring to students by name. The instructor is showing that he or she is paying attention to what the student has to say. The student are more likely to participate in future discussion posts because they have a sense of recognition.

Diana,

I like to emphasize the importance of professionalism by using students names as well. I do this especially in communication like email - I use their name and sign with my name. I do this instead of starting the email with Dear All or Hello, etc. Thanks for your input.

I agree Diana and Dr. Crews. I like using names and personalizing the message by trying to relate the reply back to what the student's major is or interests are. I keep little notes in my grading notebook of their major and interests to help.

Dania,

Yes, that personalization can go a long way in helping students feel more a part of the class community. That you keep notes on their major and interests shows you are going a step beyond in getting to know your students and helping them succeed. Nice job.

I also agree that personalizing your communications with each student sets the tone for a more personal relationship; contrary to the mis-perception that online classrooms are impersonal.

What I really liked most about this Unit is the focus on really developing a sense of community in the classroom, whatever the means might be. In my first class, as I introduce them to myself, the course and our classroom. I go over the objectives dealing with discussion threads, questions threads and what I will hence forward call my "communication code of conduct". I really highlight their opportunities to interact and network with each other. In all of my classes my hope is that they learn from me, they learn from each other, and I learn from them.

Kelly,

We want students to feel like they are a part of the learning community and that they are "human" (and so are we) and not just a number in a class. Effective communication and personalization can do this. Thanks for your input.

Sign In to comment