Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubric Stratification

How many levels of assessment are necessary for optimal evaluation? Does beyond a certain number make the rubric either overly burdensome or less effective as a tool for student evaluation?

MaryCatherine,

You need to assess the learning outcomes. So, it's depends. I continually say that if the rubric is burdensome, something is wrong. Maybe it's not the rubric, but the assignment or the criteria are not connected to the learning outcomes. Thanks for offering up these questions.

In a rubric for a Comp I course, I include a category of correctly interpreting and addressing the assignment, because a number of my students seem to have limited reading skills and ability to understand what is being asked of them. I wish the institution tested reading ability upfront and started some students off with a remedial reading course.

Stanley,

The category in the rubric makes sense. It's also an easy way to encourage those with good reading skills to motivate them to make sure they have done what was expected of them. Good idea.

The rubric is to a generic standard for everyone to understand. It is the beginning not the end to evaluating students.

I have a rubric for each of the assignments addressing specifically the assignment. Of course ther are several common factors such as APA, exceeding expectations, etc…

kevin,

And rubrics help instructors be more consistent in their evaluation. Hence, they help students and instructors. Thanks.

Rolando,

You are right on target. Keep the rubrics coming.

Thanks.

Sign In to comment