Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubric

Rubrics are good tools to help inform the students what to expect from the topic to be discussed.

And to help you assess more consistently between students.

It can also help you to let the students know what is expected from them. Clear cut guidelines for length of postings, topic depth, and appropriateness can help them focus on the material.

John,

Yes, rubrics are for the students and the instructors. Good point.

I have found that the use of rubrics is very helpful for myself and my students. I grade more consistently and students are aware of exactly what is expected of them.

Samantha,

Thanks for sharing your experience. So glad they are working for you.

Rubrics should provide an implicit statement of expectations; in addition the point distribution indicates the relative importance of each task.

The point distribution allows the student to understand the importance of completing particular tasks

Some tasks require calculations. Even though I am interested in the application of the concept and the theory, significant weight using points indicates that the correct calculation is essential for applying the concepts.

Albert,

Yes, rubrics should provide not only a total number (calculation) but specific feedback along with specific criteria. Thanks!

Sign In to comment