Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Communication Amongst the Generations

Online instructor must be aware at all times that not every student in their classroom communicates in the same manner using similar tools. Lack of understanding this concept will breed frustration and diminish you input to the learning community.

Module 3 of the course outlines the various generations along with their communication preference and communication obstacles.

(1) The traditionalist (1925-1945) prefer F2F communication in a formal setting. They see challenges using emails, cell phones, texting, social networking sites.

(2) Baby boomers (1946-1964) prefer F2F, telephone, email, group meetings, cellphones for talking. They see as obstacles, social networking sites, blogging, texting.

(3) Gen X (1965-1978), they want to choose their communication medium and how often they do it -email, cellphone, text, blogging, instant messaging, online forum. They have difficulties with F2F formal communication, Formal letter writing, team discussions.

(4) Gen Y (1979-1997) prefers text, online social networking, instant messaging. The have difficulties with F2F communications, telephone conversations and professional or even casual letter writing.

Neer,

Thank you for your detailed information about the generations. You bring to light some very good comments. Thanks.

I agree that communication among those from various generations varies. I find that I have students who prefer to send a short e-mail or text to communicate, while others want to speak over the phone for hours. It has been a balancing act for me with many students of varying age groups.

Twyla

Twyla ,

We all communicate differently but we have to strive to communicate with all students. Keep up the good work.

Thanks.

On an online environment, it is best to have an idea about the type of group a student belongs so a faculty has a general idea of their technical and social skill set.

As part of the Visual Curriculum, our student writes a career planning paper (in the beginning, middle and end of the program), and they talked about their experience and future plan. This helps instructors gauge student’s group and career path.

The new AIU platform student roster also shows if the student is a military veteran and his or her time zone. This helps faculty assign a student in collaborative projects.

There are students who are very sociable and sometimes talk off topic in the Discussion Board (DB) area.

I don’t want to stifle this expression. I find that by creating a social DB area “water cooler or break room," gives them a place where they can express themselves and still communicate to the class.

Another DB area that helps visual design students is a “Critique Space," where they can upload their work and discuss it even it’s not part of that week’s assignment.

When I was new to the online environment; email or announcement starts with “Dear students” (formal). Now days, it’s “Good morning folks…." I keep the tone informal and friendly so students are open in their communication.

The funny thing is my little girl said, I sound like an older person. I’m not sure if that's a bad or good thing, I do belong to a baby boomer. I guess that dates me.

Racquel ,

The career planning paper sounds like a great way to keep students thinking throughout the program. It also provides instructors with much information about the students. This could be included in about any program. Thanks for sharing.

Racquel ,

Yes, the water cooler area is a good idea. It's a place where students who need to can socialize. Thanks for sharing this idea will all of us.

Racquel ,

The tone the instructor sets can set the tone for the whole classroom. I think informal can be OK, but keeping a professional tone as well is important. Thanks!

Sign In to comment