Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Generation Gap

I for one can tell you that I fall somewhere in-between the YOUNGER and the OLDER generations. But still being behind on the times has made it far more difficult to succeed and fit in with the “younger” students. It takes a lot of questions and prying to get answers to questions about technology that may come easier to the younger kids, although now more than say ten years ago, it is far easier to navigate through a web site do to the boom of technology just in the past ten years.

Elizabeth,

I'm "on the line" between generations too. I think many people have personality traits of more than one generation. Just communicating in various ways, having a variety of assignments, etc. helps all generations.

Thanks!

I am another one on the bubble between those generations. While some might think this is ideal in that you do need to develop skills from both cohorts, it also can isolate you from the majority of both groups as they feel you are "too young" or "too old". It is one of the elements I enjoy about the online environment, as others learn about you as a individual rather than an age or type.

John,

I like your word of the "bubble." I am a bubble too and I see exactly what you are saying. That's something to take into consideration when teachig. Thanks!

If I were to attend college now at my age >55 I feel I need clear concise rules. I'm a visual learner. As an instructor I find I have to relate to my students in many ways. Some understand visual others verbal. By including several learning tools I feel I have the attention of all my students

Diane,

Many students are usual learners, but more recently there has been discussions about how many students have dual learning styles. Providing content in a variety of ways is helpful in connecting with students. Thanks for your input.

Yes, it can be difficult at times to communicate online but for the most part I am very computer literate. I think it's very important to help others communicate effectively online

Donna,

Right on! Communication is so important. I tell online instructor all the time - if you want to get BAD teaching evaluations - don't communicate. You'll be the worst evalutations ever! ;-)

Hello Elizabeth, While the generation gap is important to consider, critical thinking is a process every student should engage. The use of critical thinking should integrate into every action in learning. Communication is transferring information from the sender to the receiver and vice versa. The reason for speaking and listening is to transfer the words created through thoughts. The common habit of creating the response while listening to the message inhibits the listener from critically thinking about the meaning of the words. The culture heuristics and emotional composition with other individual characteristics filter the true meaning the sender creates forming words. Active listening involves slowing down the thinking and employing emotional intelligence for objectively analyzing the sent content. Forming a habit to ask questions to verify is beneficial. However, this requires critical thinking. Pajak (2002) quotes Thompson with stating, “He notes that communication is effective only when information and understanding are passed along accurately from sender to a receiver” (p. 196). The very fundamental skills of listening, speaking, and critical thinking are essential for good learning.

What are your thoughts?

Reference,

Pajak, E. (2002, Spring). Clinical supervision and psychological
functions: A new direction for theory and practice. Journal of Curriculum & Supervision, 17(3), 189.

Dr. Glenn and Elizabeth,

Thanks for continuing the conversation and thanks for the resources. Keep up the good work.

I believe it is very important to try to understand each student and to try to cater to their learning needs so they will feel comfortable in an online environment.

Ramonica,

Right on. The better we understand the students, the better we can communicate and provide content to students. Thanks for your input.

Sign In to comment