Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Text "language"

While we focus on the content of the message, we also need to consider the visual impact. If you are able to choose your typeface, make sure that it conveys a professional image (e.g. Times New Roman, Georgia, Cambria, or Ariel). Using a font that is childish (e.g. Comic Sans, Kristen ITC, Freestyle Script) suggests that you are more playful than serious and that you are not particularly professional. A heavy font (e.g. Impact) will make you look pushy.

This might sound silly, but there's a ton of research on the impact that typeface has on the reader's perception of the sender and of the message. Since an online class lacks face-to-face interaction, your students have nothing to go on but the words you write and what those words look like.

I agree the typeface is extremely important. I also feel that having a understanding of netiquette is important as well. For example, I have some students that post discussion answers in all caps. In the on-line world this means that this person is "yelling", but if this person is unaware of netiquette then they are not understanding why caps shouldn't be used.

Mandy,

Netiquette is essential and helping students understand why it is important may even be more important. I provide examples of good and bad discussion posting in my syllabus and explain why they are good or bad. This seems to help. Thanks for your input.

I agree. It is very important to consider not only the typeface, but also how you communicate. Especially with text messages, many people use "text speak." Again, depending on what image you hope to display will dictate how you speak in your texts. If you use proper spelling, punctuation and grammar - you will appear more formal, while using the standard abbreviations may make you seem less formal.

This is important because it establishes the way in which students see you. If you are casual, you may be more approachable. Conversely, the students may also feel like you lack the authority to control the class.

Linnea,

Yes, serving as a good role model and giving students example of good/bad communication is helpful. Nice job.

This is a very important aspect of asynchronous online egagement. The communication skills supporting reading and writing default to verbal speech habits unless an individual learns the awareness of audience. This is especially important for online communication. I am always amazed at the improvement in critical thinking displayed when a student writer becomes aware of the need to focus on the audience versus their writing. Schunk (2004) expands on the four types of knowledge employed in writing. These are topical, audiences, genres, and language (p. 407). While topical, genres and language knowledge support writing well from a content view, the awareness of audiences engages critical thinking to assess the meaning behind the words. Schunk (2004) further reinforces this perspective with stating, “The primary goal of skilled writers is to communicate meaning” (p. 410). Without an awareness of who will read the work student writers participate in talking on paper. The thinking does not disconnect from the thoughts to the words. With introduction of audience awareness, the writer must assess meaning to verify the words communicate the thoughts. How the text is presented influences the ability of the audience to comprehend.

Schunk, D. (2005). Learning theories: An educational perspective (4th ed.). Upper Saddle River,

Michelle, that is an excellent point. I work in graphic design, and we spend a lot of time thinking about typeface, and talking about this with students. Typeface is 'tone' and 'character', I tell my students to imagine a tv advertisement with a voiceover. What would the voiceover sound like in different typefaces? How would it change the message?

Christine & Michelle,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. As I teach business communication and we develop letters/memos/reports/etc., we also discuss the tone and character of the message. These are good questions to ask. Thanks!

Hi Michelle,
Excellent point made, and one that I never really thought about. I always require students to type in Times New Roman font, as per APA requirements, and I always type messages in Ariel because it does look professional. You are right though, the fonts do make a difference as to the message that you are sending or receiving and how professional they appear. Thank you

Dr. Crews,
Is it apprpropriate to correct students' grammar in an email. Oftentimes, I am in a quandry as to how to approach the emails, because it is not an assignment. It appears that students do not realize that there is a difference between texting lingo and emailing lingo.Thank you

Tina,

Way back when I taught PageMaker and taught newsletter design, page layout, etc. We instructed students to use a sans serif font (like Arial) for headings and serif fonts (like Times New Roman) for the body. It was noted that the extensions on serif fonts (like TNR) lead the readers eye to connect letters into words for easier reading the body text. However, as we read more from the computer screen nowadays and read shorter text like in discussion boards, etc. Arial text is used a lot for body text. There is just less body text online in these cases. Just a blast from the past. ;-)

Tina,

I tell students that an email to me is professional communication. If there is no subject line, I hit delete and do not read the email. I get so many SPAMS emails, that I don't have time to search through emails to see who they are from. Also, students email address may not tell me who the message is from. For example: cart102 does not tell me if the email is from Carter, T. Car, etc. So, any time a students emails me and does not sign the email, I email them back and say, "Who is this?" I teach more than one class and I am not sure what assignment (or whatever the case may be) the email is referring to. I do also say things like, please not your grammar and/or spelling when emailing in a professional setting. Agian, emailing a professor is like emailing a boss, so it is a profession setting. I start with comments like "Please check your grammar and/or spelling." and remind them of the professionalism. If it continues, I have returned emails to students asking them to edit and for them to return the email to me once it is free from errors. It doesn't take long for them to learn to carefully craft emails to me. BUT - with all of this said, I do put it in the syllabus that this is what I expect and will do. They need to know the expectations before you just start editing their emails. Hope this is helpful.

I have seen the all caps typing also. What I try to stress is the fact that they are in school and a professional post is required. I often see students who are trying to say "I see what you mean about..." and they type ic what u mean about..When they finally correct that error, I tend to see that they do not capitalize their "I's" in any of their posts. They are so used to texting that it becomes a hard habit to break.

Janis,

We just keep emphasizing that the course is a professional setting and they should communication in a professional way. Keep it up!

This is great advice. I'm usually more focused on the language in correspondence than the way it's delivered, but this makes sense. I'm usually using Times, which has been unintentionally conveying a professional image, thank goodness!

Michael,

We do continue to learn from each other. Thanks for adding your thoughts and sharing with us. Keep up the good work.

Agreed. I am a graphic designer and this statement is completely true. The typeface you select gives the reader an indication of your personality. That being said choosing a more neutral old style font or a nondescript san serif is your best bet. For those who are not graphic designers here is a good list of fonts to use: Helvetica, news gothic, century gothic, caliber, times, gouty, palatino.

I have an assignment for my students to choose a typeface for the following words: patriotic, frightened, angry, shy, joyous, sophisticated, athletic, calm, quickly, financial, cartoon, foreign, friendly, technical, weird, tired, heroic, villain, feminine, masculine. This is not to say they should use a different font every time they are conveying a feeling but to stay away from fonts that express things/feelings that you wouldn't want the viewer to feel. For example if you use a font that seems angry or cartoonish it will make you look unprofessional.

Dawn,

Thanks for sharing your expertise. We like learning from each other in these forums.

Thanks again.

Dawn,

Ah - good activity. Thanks for sharing that with us. I can use this in my business communication course.

Sign In to comment