Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Communication

Communication is important, especially for anyone in a non-traditional environment. Boundaries and guidelines need to be enforced so that each person enrolled has a direct line of open communication without the fear of being penalized or scrutinized from the instructor or from other participations.

Elizabeth,

You are right on! Communication is important. Communication must be clear and to the point. The students must have communication to understand the course objectives, expectations, assignments, etc. Open and respectful communication is very beneficial to the students and you.

Thank you.

communication is a definite tool in every categories in our professional field.learners have to know the objectives and what they have to achieve in a course through clarity and simplicity of the instructions passed on by their mentor whether it's a classroom environment or virtuality.Rules , regulations checklists , lesson plan , syllabus are all a form of communication that is being implied.With that said , i also agree to the statement by Ms.Elizabeth that it's a platform to students to have an open discussion without fear and be in a relax learning environment

Sharmalan,

You are correct. Communication is very important and a well-established communication plan helps students understand the course expectations and interact with each other. Both typically result in higher teaching evaluations.

Thanks!

Communication is the key to learning. Without clear cut communications students may be confused and not understand what is expected. With an age spread from teens to 50yo plus setting up commmunications need focus on clear and concise rules so all ages will understand what is expected of them.

Diane,

Right on! Communication is so very important for a successful learning environment. You begin your communication with the syllabus. Make sure you express yourself clearly through all aspects of the course. Thanks for your input.

This module addresses this to a degree, but to me, “common sense” can be a very misleading term. Often people feel that “common sense” will back up whatever they believe in. Sometimes I feel that is may be a critical thinking fallacy to see that there is an ultimate type of common sense that is a proper foundation for everything we do. Although this may have been the case for some time in a number of circumstances, this ties in with the ideas of post-structuralism and deconstruction.

Although often instructors are consulted or can suggest ideas as to communication protocol, often decisions regarding these areas are made in upper administrative areas. These may involve accreditation issues as well as administrative policy.

I actually see ties with elements in this module to ideas presented in a class I recently took called “Literacy and Basic Writing.” One Idea that came up in this class is that often students have had little experience with writing or communicating in other ways in which there will be a reader or an audience who needs to interpret the message sent. Without that perspective, it might be easier to post comments that are inappropriate or may seem rude. Often spoken speech among friends may be seen as the foundation for written assignments, which may not be an appropriate way to communicate in a classroom situation.

There is mention in the module to avoid acronyms. Often acronyms are part of Standard English and professional diction. It is generally considered a good idea to identify the acronym before using it further in a post or in an essay. From my experience, that is standard procedure. There are acronyms or abbreviations used in this module that follow this procedure. I have attended a number of meetings, however, where various groups will be using terminology and acronyms that do not seem standard and their identification would greatly help communication. Students often do need to be reminded to avoid abbreviations such as those used frequently in text messages.

Although I am sure this might be seen as a dry and tedious approach, in physical classrooms I have often wished that I might establish some version of Robert’s Rules of Order.

Marcia,

You bring up some very good points. Common sense may not be common. Many times when students make a mistake, I ask them to take me through their thought prOceas as to, for example, think something is right when it is not right. Students have many times not been asked why they tho k like they do. It makes for an interesting conversation and allows for a deeper discussion to occur for a deeper understanding. Thanks for your input.

Effective communication helps us better understand a person or situation and enables us to resolve differences, build trust and respect, and create environments where creative ideas, problem solving, affection, and caring can flourish.

Thank you,
Professor Davis

Christopher,

Effective communication is a key part of life, let alone the classroom. You are so right. Thanks!

Sign In to comment