Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Effective Communication

In today's technological world there are so many different ways to communicate. Effective communication should be carefully considered. Think about the type of students you have in your course. Learn how they best take in and retain information and then analyze the most effective way to reach and retain students in the course. Some students might respond best by phone, some by email or text. I have found when I find the best way to communicate with a student I can keep them engaged in the course.

Stacy,

Key words you used and brought Into this conversation are reach and retention. We do have to think carefully about how we communicate with students and get the point across. Thanks.

For the types of courses that we teach(heavy on writing and traditional communication) text contact is not optimal. We try our best to keep students from using TextSpeak in email communication and stay in a professional mindset at all times. Brevity is one thing, but communicating in a professional manner is stressed heavily. Therefore, the dangers in Text communications and bad writing habits that it can foster, is a big con that we, at our school, had to assess.

Nicholas ,

Good info. Trying to help students understand that email is professional communication is a good thing to do. Thanks for adding to the conversation.

The majority of students in my classes are adult learners, full schedules from full time employment, families and of course, our class activities. It is rare to have any student who is not fully technology advanced with all the latest and greatest tools! Emails work the best from all the methods I use. I still have the issue of a student who cannot even complete the work using correct grammar that includes correct spelling,capitiliation and sentesnt that are a complete thought so this student does need extra attention in multiple formats to help address these issues. I do not use text messages in any class I teach so I am unsure how this would actually work or be effective.

cynthia,

You are not alone. Seems that most students work and go to school. We all have to find the best communication tools to meet our and our students' needs. Thanks!

This is an excellent point. I have learned to better observe my students to determine what works best for each student. Although I prefer to the use the telephone, many students use texting as their primary method of contacting me.

Rhonda,

We all communicate differently and we just have to find the best way that works for us and our students. Thanks for your input.

Dr. Crews,

I have students that cannot complete their assignments (DBs, IPs) and group projects because they work 16 hours shift. It is affecting their work, and grades. How can we solve this problem? I know they have families, they have to provide for their families. Where is the balance?

Emmanuel,

I know this sounds harsh, but if the assignments are connected to the learning outcomes and the students must complete the assignment to achieve the learning outcomes, then they have to complete the assignments. If they choose not to (and it is THEIR choice) then maybe this course or program is not for them. We have to hold them responsible for their own learning. Students have to realize that online courses are not Monday - Friday classes, they have to work on the weekends and at night and all different times of the day to complete their work. THEY have to find their own balance. Online instructors also have families and work 16 or so hours per day, but they get the job done. I hope this is not too harsh. I do not mean it to be. Thanks for your question.

Cynthia,

I use the same communication techniques as you. And I too experience the same issues noted from your students' incorrect use of the English language.

Derrick and Cynthia,

It's fun when we find others doing the same thing we are doings. Thanks for sharing.

Sign In to comment