Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding technology among different generations

How important is it to understand who we are teaching to and what generation they are from when we embrace technology within our online courses?

Traci,

It's all about understanding your audience. You need to understand your audience in any siutation, but if your students are your audience, it's essential.

I think it is very important. However, I will say that we cannot assume that only younger student understand technology. I am always amazed at how many younger students still do not have knowledge of the basics (how to send an email or an IM) or have an interest in learning learning modules. Older students seem to get how important it is to learn technology, so they seem more willing. What do you think?

Cheryl,

You are right, we cannot assume. That always gets us in trouble. ;-) It's best to learn about your audience/your students. Thanks!

It is very important - at the start of my classes I setup Biography threads and from them you can often get an idea of how old a student is and that can help.

I find a lot of older students prefer email, presentations and hard copy textbooks whereas many younger students prefer e-books, IM and listening to recorded Adobe Connect lectures. Of course, I understand there are exceptions to every rule. Cheers, Dennis

Dennis,

You are right about exceptions to every rule. But, I like that you are seeing some themes among students and are paying attention. Then, you'll be more prepared to communicate with a variety of students. Thanks!

I think this is a very good point. Just because younger students are more familiar with some types of technology (texting,social networking etc.) does not mean that they have a handle on education technology. In fact, they are sometimes sloppier in their use of such tools because of their prior use of more informal technology tools.

What a great question! It is very important to understand who our students are and part of that includes the generational component. Of course, I am not suggesting that they are treated any different, but it helps us when we know who we are working with. With that being said, older students have really done quite well with their adjustment to this new medium.

kelli,

Oh yes. Perception is not always reality. Students can perceive they are excellent with technology when in actuality that are not. Good point.

Francis ,

Yes it's that whole "know your audience" idea. The more you know the audience, the better you can communicate with them and help them succeed.

It is very important. I teach in an environment in which many of the students are grandparents. Many of these students have not ever used a computer, are currently learning what to do, and have no idea about the various technologies that are available to assist them in learning. Many students are fearful of the technology and have a difficult time getting use to the technology. So in my instruction, in chats, and in office hours, I often have to explain and encourage them on how the technology can help them. With students that are in their 20's and 30's, I have little instruction to give to them about technology. They just need clarification on what they need to do and where to put the information.

Linda,

You, like many others, have seen trends such as these in your classes. It gives you some idea of the amount of time you must spend helping students with technology. Thanks for sharing.

To a 50, 60, or 70 year old person, technology is frighetening. My mother I don't think ever used a computer and would have no idea how to use the cell phones these days. It is very indimidating even for me. Sometimes, I feel so out of touch because I am not comfortable yet with even using certain technologies myself.

It is amazing that students have the ability to submit work from their phones, ipads, etc. I can see where the challenges would be for students who have limited resources to obtain current technologies,

Sloan,

It's hard to keep up no matter what your age. It's great that we recognize students of all ages will have challenges. Thanks for your input.

I teach students with a wide range of ages. I do find that the younger generation is a lot more adept at picking up new technology. They would be perfectly happy reading everything from a computer screen. My older students, on the other hand, still like to have a textbook in their hands. They are OK with using both, but do not want to give up their textbooks entirely at this point in their life.

Jeanice,

I find a variety of students wanting textbooks so they can highlight, take notes, etc. But, as e-books become easier to use and with the features of highligting/notetaking, etc. we may continue to see that change as well. Thanks!

This is a great point...I have run into this with students using "text" language rather than formal language in discussion posts and papers. It's important to set the expectations for these at the beginning of class.

Sarah,

Right on! Setting up those expectations first thing and modeling them as well is important. Thanks for your input.

And in the Bio threads of an older student makes reference to returning to class the classroom and lacking the skills to be an active part of the discussions I try to ease their concerns with the emphasis of reaching out to them as often as possible.

Marshall,

The bios can tell you a lot about the students and students can learn a lot about each other. After all bios have been posted, I have students to another discussion posting about what they have in common with two other students so they can get familiar with each other.

Sign In to comment