Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Telephone

I still think the standard telephone helps many online students feel a bit better about the class, the instructor, and what they are doing.

Chris

Christopher,

It briings a personal touch to the online environment. Thanks.

One of the issues with telephone communication with students is that there is no record of what was said. I have experienced, as most of of have, situations when having an e-mail or IM record is able to verify what was actually said in a conversation even if the information is misinterpreted by the student.

For example, recently a student initated a grade appeal, which was denied. The e-mail record was the only means of verifying that several important points had been made clear to the student, although the student stated that the information in question had not been communicated.

June,

Ah, good point. When I talk with a student, I do follow up the conversation with an email recapping what was said. That provides at least a record of that. Thanks for your input.

Thanks Dr. Crews. I was concerned about the telephone questions. I typically only use the telephone as a last resort if emails/chats are not clear. But to follow up with an email after a phone call is key. I will keep that in mind in the future.

Simone Branham

Simone,

No worries. It's so good to share in this type of forum.

June, I have the same thoughts, that would want to keep a record of the conversation. Providing a follow-up email is a good idea to only a certain extent. Sometimes, the student still may remember things different so there is no guarantee that the whole conversation will be captured. Also, it opens the flood gates. I love teaching and helping students but in my experience, the expectations is that I am on-call for them. I have had students call me in the middle of the night and answer to phone to find it was a student. Now, when you are woken up by a call, the first thing you think of is, is my children alright, who is hurt? So, sometimes, you don't think about checking the caller I.D.. It was so bad that I literally changed my cell number.

I think calling student is a double edge sword and I rather "call back" students via email. Unless the University would provide phone lines, I am afraid to experience that again.

Debra and June,

Yes, the follow up email can help clarify things and also keep a record of the call. I set timeframes for my students. I tell them specific times (office hours) they can call. I also tell them when I'll be checking email and Blackboard. Set these timeframes early. Only in an emergency situation would students call me late at night.

I still call and encourage some students that need the reassuring to call.

Marshall,

That's a good thing to do. They don't all need the call, but those that do truly appreciate it. Thanks!

I totally agree. Some students are happy when I call them and give them a overview and make sure they will be doing assignments and things correctly. It also makes me feel good and knowning I am increasing retention of students.

George,

Retention is a factor to consider. Keep up the good work.

Great idea and would agree that this is probably a huge factor in retention. One of the schools I worked for had the instructors place a call to the student before we left for the day to find out why they were not in class. This lets them know you missed them and that you care about them and whether they are there or not.

June,
This is one disadvantage of communicating via telephone. I had this issue with an employee. Therefore, I began verifying what was discussed during the telephone conversation by following up with an email. The employee response to my email served as proof of our conversation.If there was ever dispute, I could pull up the email.

Vivian Washington

First, I must make clear that I prefer F2F or written communications. I don't linger on the phone even with friends and family. With co-workers and students, less still.

In the early days of online instruction (2001-2002)I would make an introductory call to my online students during the first week of class. I would say 80 to 90% wondered WHY I was calling them and made me feel as if I were an unwanted annoyance. I can tell you I don't do this anymore.

Any student that would really benefit from an instructor calling them probably is not cut out for the online learning environment and will eventually drop out of school.

True online learners are disciplined, self-motivated and independent. They require little supervision and only contact an instructor when absolutely necessary. Just because online learning may be convenient, doesn't mean it's for everyone.

Alexander,

We all have our preferred methods of communication. Do what works for your students and you.

Dawn ,

Retention is a key piece. Thanks for bringing it up.

Vivian ,
Ah-good point. It is good that we discuss these issues.

Sign In to comment