Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

restrictions with technology tools

While I believe that technology tools lend themselves well to building relationships in the online environment, what if you are restricted to the schools learning/classroom platform.

I teach at an online school where communications are restricted to inside of the classroom for reporting purposes(blackboard). Is anyone familiar with any technology tools that enhance communications on blackboard outside of email and holding chat sessions?

Victoria,

Good point because many people I use Blackboard quite extensively and use many features. The wiki is great for students to develop their own Web page within BBoard or develop Web pages for a project. And, they can collaborate on projects and you can see who did what on the project. I have students edit each other's work (written work - I teach business communication) using the Wiki. Also, the Blog feature is great. You can have students do private blogs that only you and the students can see or only students in a group can see. They can use it as a reflection tool or communication tool and again you can see who commented, etc. Hope this helps.

I would love to use online technology but the only electronic technology" where I work is email, telephone, and text for faculty and students to communicate. This is a huge limitation when other institutions use higher technology for learning. In grad school back in 1999, I took 3 online courses and found them somewhat difficult to adapt too. Once oriented to the new technology I found online classes gave me more flexibility with my time. This was extremely important since I lived 2 hrs. from campus. As a baby boomer this new technology took more time to learn than my younger colleagues but I did learn it.. Since I have not used this new technology (teleconferencing, VoIP, Large Group software, or social networking) in my classes, I know it would benefit both student/instructor.

Diane,

You are not along in having restrictions with technology tools. When you find yourself in that situation, you have to do the best with what you have to work with. And, learning the technolgy can be a bit of a barrier, but with time and decication, we can learn what we need to so that we can learn in the online environment. Keep learning and keep "plugging along." Thanks for your input.

My firm too limits the use of technology in group lessons, however ne thing that they do ask is for office hours with a phone number contact. I am not extremely comfortable with this so I have a google voice number that filters all calls- I have a "fake" number that reroutes to my cell phone that I can either answer (it tells me their name/number) or I can send to voicemail and call back later. It is a great tool especially if you are exclusively online.

Jennifer,

What a good idea. You can stay in contact and protect your personal numbers. Thanks!

Technology tools lend themselves well to building relationships in the online environment. Teachers talked about motivation from a number of different perspectives. Some mentioned motivation with respect to working in a specific subject area, for example, a greater willingness to write or to work on computational skills.

Others spoke in terms of more general motivational effects--student satisfaction with the immediate feedback provided by the computer and the sense of accomplishment and power gained in working with technology.

Thank you,
Christopher Davis

Christopher,

The building of relationships is essential in online classrooms. The more you can do this the better. Thanks for the information in your post.

Sign In to comment