Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology

Today more than ever it is so important to keep up with current trends especially geared towards technology. It is changing so quickly, it seems once you get the hang of it, it is obsolete and there is something new to learn. What are some good web-sites to keep up to date on all the changes that are happening with education and technology?

Elizabeth,

You are so right. Finding the right technology that works for you is very important. I don't have specific Web sites per se, but I typically look for technologies that serve a variety of my needs.

For example, I use Adobe Connect Professional to hold synchronous class sessions, record them for asynchronous viewing, online office hours, meeting area for students, student presentations, and assessment.

Search the Internet for things like online communication tools or tools for assessing online or whatever your need might be.

Thanks.

Elizabeth - I teach part-time at an online university but my primary business is in the area of communications, Internet, and especially VoIP. I have several suggestions. Firstly, just doing a quick search on "Education and Technology" provided a wealth of information, including a link to the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). A link that was available and very recent (http://www.iste.org/connect/iste-connects/blog-detail/11-09-21/Using_Social_Media_Know_Your_Audience_Then_Choose_the_Right_Tools.aspx) addressed the use of social media in an educational environment. The site even has an app for the iPhone!

Another suggestion is to find sites that are of interest to you and subscribe to their RSS feeds for regular updates of useful and relevant information.

I hope that helps!

Joel,

Thanks for your help. ISTE is a great resource. I know you have helped Elizabeth and others.

That's exactly how I feel about the technology. I learn new things very quickly, and can become proficient easily. Yet, I struggle with unfamiliar technology that is mostly self-taught. I want to stay competetive because I know my students probably are better at the computer programs than I am.

Nicole,

We all handle technology and learning in a variety of ways. It's good to know our strengths and weaknesses and improve upon them. Thanks for your input.

Elizabeth, I think this is a wonderful point to make. Technology does change so fast, so a tool that you are using today may be obsolete pretty quickly. So its important to regularly review your use of technology and what new/better tools might be out there.

Daniel & Elizabeth,

Thanks for your communication through this forum. Keep up the good work.

Sign In to comment