Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Going through the motions

I teach both on-ground and online at graduate and undergraduate levels.

Online, there is no reading of body language (which is a high % of "in person" communication) and no ability for the "verbal" student to ask a question and no way for the instructor to see that "blank" look that signals lack of understanding by a student.     And yes, students do attend "live" classes and still play on their cell phones on the sly.

When an online or ground student does all their assignments for the week on the last due date I get the feeling that they are not involved, but just "doing the minimum" to get the degree.

David

Although it would be impossible to watch a students body language in an online class, I do find as an instructor grading papers I can get a "read" on the student by getting a feel for the quality of the papers they are submitting.   Does their paper show high energy and engagement (like when someone leans forward during your face to face lecture) or are the disengaged with weak writing or low quality like a student stairng out the window in class?   Do you also find this to be true?

Reply to Michael Pry's post:

Great point, Michael! The quality of the assignment definitely indicates the level of engagement. Also, discussion participation tells a lot about a student. The one-liners are a quick and easy way to identify those who lack the desire to fully immerse themselves in the course. 

Sign In to comment