Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Training as more than hoop jumps

Every hear poeple talk from both sides of their mouth?  I know of a group of people who say on the one hand that the classroom needs to be an active, fun experience, and then say on the other hand that instructor teaching loads should increase because, after all, what's a few more classes when all the instructor does is provide a platform for students to recieve information.  Why do I bring this up?  Becasue if I had a wish list, it would contain allocation of time and resources that empower instructors by providing hands on lab time with reflection so that active learning techniques can be developed, tried, and talked about.

The other aspect of "more than hoop jumps" and "both sides of their mouth" is MANY students get the "real" message.   If their grade for a weekly discussion (asynchronous) depends on one main post and two replies to other students' posts, then MOST students will do just that and no more.   When we set a "minimum" we must not blame the student for "doing the minimum" ... that is our standard and they meet the standard.  We say we want "engagement" and "rigor", but that "minimum" is the REAL message to the student. 

What a joy to have a student go BEYOND the minimum because they are REALLY into the topic ... and then the teacher also learns from the student ... it is a very satisfying experience.  

Sign In to comment