Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Intellectual curiosity

What are some techniques you use to make your online students curious?

Sabahudin - I often give student part of the assignment and have the complete the rest.  I teach programming courses so it's tough during demos not to just do the assignment for them in the live video chats.  So I will mirror the project they have to do so that they have to activietly participate.  For example, if the assignment calls for them to code a form to collect resume information I may demo how to create a reservation or RSVP form.  Principle is the same and steps are similar but they have to use what was demonstrated to create a completely new project.  This may not make the curious but it does facilitate them participating learning.

Hello Sabahudin,

Keeping students engaged and curious begins within the first few seconds of them viewing the announcement, discussion, comment, etc....

I use three different tactics to grab the students attention: (1) A colorful large clear font & unique photo applicable to the topic (sometimes gifs are very eye-catching too),  (2) My subject line in the topic is either  'funny or controversial', and (3) Within the comment I use links to the information/video and include 'my personal perspective' AND 'open ended questions'.

Because we are constantly bombarded with information, it is important to grab your student's attention from the start -

Lauree Lee Russell

Knowlege is everything, I give the students the opportunity to make corrections, build on their ability to research and find the matierial that will reward them with the addition of the knowledge they are seeking.

In this information age, educators have to be creative when sharing course related information with students. Some of the techniques I use online include short PowerPoint module video presentations, discussions with curious titles, colored text, and relevant clipart, step-by-step multimedia video tutorials, and humorous announcements.

How do you present a power point presentation live chat without any of the students present and make it enticing and rich?

Sign In to comment