Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How can an effective teacher teach without teaching?

n a conversation one person asked, "What are the characteristics of an effective teacher?" I read quite a few excellent remarks that describe what such a teacher does to be effective. I couldn't help thinking about some of my best teachers.

I had an amazing psychology professor in college. He was on fire every class period and his enthusiasm was contagious. But the things I remember most are the psychological experiments in which we participated. I remember every detail and the supporting theories because I experienced it.

My psychology professor was an effective teacher because he provided experiences that created long-term memories. In response to the LinkedIn comments, I penned the following:

"I appreciate all of the comments that have been made so far. Yet I feel there is one thing still missing. One characteristic of an effective teacher is that they don't teach. You say that is outrageous. How can an effective teacher teach without teaching?

I think the confusion may lie in what people traditionally associate with teaching versus what actual learning is. Teaching has often been seen as an expert transmitting knowledge to another person. The "learner" is a blank slate, ready to be filled with the knowledge from the sage on the stage. This approach works for basic concepts, but it only goes so far. Yes, an elementary student needs to have a teacher "teach" him or her how to add, subtract, spell, etc. That represents basic knowledge that must be mastered first.

However, after the basics are learned, a "teacher" really needs to step away from transmitting knowledge to curating information for students. If our goal is produce independent learners who are able to access and use valid information to make decisions and improve knowledge, then we cannot rely on a teacher to transmit the perfect combination of information. The teacher should be an expert in his or her field, yes, but only to the extent that he or she is aware of the latest breakthroughs in the field, the most significant findings in the field, and the way knowledge of the field fits in with the wider perspective of life in general.

Our goal cannot be teaching students what to think. Our goal has to be providing students with critical thinking skills necessary for them to devise understanding and knowledge on their own. 

By sharing my industry work experence, I am teaching without teaching. Industry examples along with the real life final results have more meaning to students and reinforce the terms found in the text book.

Sign In to comment