Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Setting Due Dates

Procrasinators are everywhere in the classroom whether online or a traditional classroom.  I always stress the importance of getting things done once you understand the content so that their assignments are meaninful.  Deadlines are deadlines and we cannot allow them to get away with it.  Sometimes I will eventually allow my students to make up the missing assignments and I know that some may not agree with my madness, but when they see that they are failing at midterms all of a sudden they become serious and begin to communicate with me.  I will show them all the missing assignments and give them a deadline along with a deduction in percentage if they do not meet them.  Never fails, they turn in all their work on time and learn a valuble lesson in life ^_^

I allow a few points to up grade but they must first get the work in - this small incentive (though most do not actually take advantage of it because of their own time restraints) seems to get some motivated.  Yes, it does increase the grading time on my part. 

Sign In to comment