Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Excuses

Trying to get students to realize the importance of ownership in their education. Excuses allow you to lie to yourself about what you are capable of doing. How can we help our students understand that their investment in their education should never rest upon any excuse?

Dear Cassandra and Colleagues,

I love this question because I think that one of the biggest and most frustrating challenges I have encountered as an instructor is the challenge of inspiring students to take ownership of their learning. I teach literature and writing courses, and so often students seem to approach these courses as though they were just another item to check off their list on the path toward the degree. This can lead to a lot of hand-holding, cajoling, and, worst case scenario, punitiveness on my part.

I have learned that an important technique for preventing excuses is simple prevention: from Day One, I try to establish the ground rules clearly, including late assignment policies and course schedules. However, I don't want to be a drill sergeant, seeming to impose my will and authority just for the fun of it, which is where the second element of this prevention strategy comes into play: I try to use what I learn about the students in the first week of class to drive their investment in the course and, specifically, in coursework. Adult learners in particular need to know that what they are doing serves a purpose, that it connects in some meaningful way to their personal and professional goals. So I try not only to help clarify for students the relevance of each particular assignment to the field they are entering or to some other personal goal they hold. Above all, I ask students to consider and to articulate how THEY feel that each milestone will apply to their personal and professional lives beyond the course. Once students understand the tangible benefits, the real-world applications, of the work they are doing, this reduces the likelihood that they will fall back on excuses because they understand that doing so is a disservice to themselves and their goals.

Best,

Beth

@Beth333 

Thank you Beth for providing some excellent insight. I really like the tangible benefits, awesome!

Cassandra

Interesting topic in that I need to have a conversation with two students today about learning obstacles. It seems these two look for every possible means to avoid class: scheduling appointments during class time, extended breaks to visit food carts or smoke, etc. I intend to use some of the info here to help them understand the tangible benefits of what they are doing and how it affects their goals.

Sign In to comment