Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Mentors

I really love the idea of student mentors and have tried to start as well as facilitate programs like this online. I find it hard with the online population (either the mentee is not very communicative with the mentor or all parties involved aren't very invested). I'm curious if anyone has had success with a student mentor program online?
Stephanie

I have had some success with the student mentor but I think it worked because the school had assessments in place and a lot of interaction with the first-time student who is taking an online course. I teach a course that requires a group project and many times students just will not communicate and reach out to each other..So I think the student mentors can be 50-50.

Stephanie,

Student mentors can be very beneficial. I use the concept of community of learners a lot in my classes and we learn from each other.

Bernadette,

Thanks for you input in using student mentors. What you say makes sense and gives us more to think about.

Student Mentors can be a valuable asset to an instructor. However, I have not yet taught an online course. But when I do I will consider this approach.

Alan,

Good point. I would like more people to post ideas about how to effectively do this. Thanks!

One of most beneficial things we can do for our students is to teach them how to integrate into the industry they are seeking and how to learn to converse with people in the field.

I'll elaborate. I often announce free webinars I plan on attending and single or multi-day regional conferences, particularly ones which offer reduced tuition for students. I discuss and post lists of the local groups I am part of, and I encourage the students to join their local chapters and attend regular meetings.

I also post and discuss podcasts and blogs I subscribe to, which helps keep me up on the current trends, and it can help the students become familiar with the lingo and terms that are used in our field -- like learning a new language.

I stress that they need to add these trainings and group memberships to the resume IMMEDIATELY after attending, and it will show employers that they have an ongoing habit of learning and networking.

I have seen success through those who have followed this guidance. In summary, I think we can mentor our students by teaching them how to portray themselves as someone who already belongs to the community they desire to be a part of.

Sign In to comment