Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Classroom Management in the E-Learning Environment

Classroom management in the e-learning environment.
After reading forum 4 with some online supplements, I realized that the types of students are the same in the e-learning environment as well as the face to face environment. However, managing these students in the online environment is different. Despite the academic institution policy governing disruptive student, the new norm in the classroom is to minimize the attrition rate. The new norm pits the online instructor between the “rock and the hard place.” In the for-profit institution, dismissing a student is really the last resort. Regardless of the type of student –noisy, disruptive, quiet, independent- in the classroom, the instructor has to learn to facilitate each of them.

Neer,

It is difficult when education comes down to a numbers and money game and it is more important to keep the disruptive student disrupting the class for everyone else than to deal with the issue.

Herbert Brown III

Neer, I agree with that there are many institutions in the for-profit world that make dismissing students very difficult. I actually just left a position because after many years at a college I couldn't believe in the system anymore. I had a student whom I failed twice due to him not doing any of the work during the course and showing up the last week asking to do ALL the work he missed. Eventually the asked me to just grade the work so he could graduate - I did and then resigned. It's a tough situation all around.

Mr. Brown,

I cannot believe your posts. You are so correct. I thought I was only one who saw this issue.

Norma Shorr

Sign In to comment