Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students who complete work with more than required

Some students always include information that is superfluous to the assignment in order to appear as though they are going above and beyond so-to-speak when they are in fact performing data dump. Does anyone believe that this is to mask their own ability to succintly or in some cases correctly answer assignments

Milka,

It might be; however, this sounds like a great opportunity to discuss with the student what they are doing and help them understand what the expectations are and help them understand that a data dump does not help them, if fact it can hurt them and their grade.

Herbert Brown III

Milka,

It might be; however, this sounds like a great opportunity to discuss with the student what they are doing and help them understand what the expectations are and help them understand that a data dump does not help them, if fact it can hurt them and their grade.

Herbert Brown III

Those students are only trying to be recognized for what they know. Acknowledge their contribution, then redirect to the qualified subject.

I would read their assignment and make sure I comment fairly. If I see this type of behavior I would give some constructive comment.

I guess you could look at it as data dump. I would look at it as trying to provide insight or reasoning for their answer that could ultimately inspire another student to reply

This is surely not just a problem with e-learning.

As I have pointed out to students preparing for exams, the student is welcome to "free style" a definition. However, any information that is incorrect will be marked down.

Especially now that society is moving more and more into a cyber-world, it is important to learn to be concise in e-discourse.

Sign In to comment