Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Excuses why the student missed a deadline

In nearly every class, I have at least one student that says the internet kicked them out of a test. Ethically, I have an issue resetting their test. I have no way of knowing if they say the questions which would give them an advantage.

How do you handle this situation?
Thank you
Michele

Michele,

This may not help, but the way I do online quizzes is just to determine that they read the book content. Therefore, I allow them to take the quiz up to two times, the highest grade counts, and the quiz randomly assigns questions from a test bank...therefore the questions are typically different for each quiz. I also make it clear in my course expectations that a bad internet connection is not an excuse and they are to ensure they have a reliable internet connection before taking any test. I also have a ONE redo policy. If they have an issue on an assignment or a quiz, I give them one redo no questions asked...after that no excuses....they rarely try to ask for two.

Herbert Brown III

I do the the same thing. I give them two attempts with different questions on each and record the best grade.

I follow the same method. I find that students are making often tying to make and excuse and when I hold their feet to the flame, they stop complaining and do the work needed to complete the course.

I do the same thing 2 attempts and the highest grade will be used. My quizzes are time and with different questions.

Sign In to comment