Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Leading by Example

I have found that students respond to the tone of the class. Instructors need to be professional and friendly in all discussions and communications with students. It is important to let students know at the start that a professional behavior in the classroom is expected and that it should also be carried forward to their business environment. For the most part, leading by example encourages students to maintain a professional attitude.

Jean,

How do you articulate to the students what professional and appropriate communications are? Are the expectations in written form at the beginning of the semester? Are they discussed throughout the forums? I agree, professional and friendly communications are important for both faculty and students.

Herbert Brown III

Jean I agree, I always try to be friendly and casual in my communications so they feel I'm approachable. In addition, I find in courses with group projects often if a group has issues they are caused by someone not being careful with the tone and wording of their communications to a team mate.

Dennis,

It is amazing how much we read in to emails and postings just based on the writing, wording, and perceived tone of a message. Oftentimes there is really nothing there in the message; however, we perceive the existence of an attitude or problem. E-mail and text-based postings can be tricky mediums for communication.

Herbert Brown III

Jean, leading by example is so very important for instructors so that they create and maintain the most effective online learning environment. Instructors should be participative leaders in all elements of the course, coaching leaders in constantly working to keep students engaged, and directive leaders in helping students to clearly understand expectations of their performance so that they receive the best learning experience possible.

Sign In to comment