Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Does online more difficult than traditional teaching?

I am strongly inclined to support the claim that teaching in an online environment is much more demanding than teaching in a traditional classroom environment, the primary reason being that,as Instructors, we have to perform our duties from a distance.

Hi Catherine,
Many distance instructors would agree with you. What are some of the specific "duties" that are most laborious from a distance, for you.

I think it's often more difficult because it can feel like you're "on the job" 24 hours a day. Even on the weekends, you have to make sure to check on your class often. When you teach in a traditional environment, there is less expectation for you to be available all the time.

Well, I would think the online class arena should not be that difficult. We must realize that we can use technology to our advantage. Rather it be creating a video tutorial of the lesson and putting it up on YouTube or simply going the extra mile to contact this student by email or via phone. It's so many features we can use to get in touch with the students these days. However, this is just my opinion. Once again great job on your post!

Krystal,
Very good point. Many instructors have indicated they feel that way. Other instructors focus on the flexibility and 'weave' it into their life style. This way they may spend 40 hours per week, but not in large chunks of time. For them this is sometimes seen as being easier. A lot probably depends on individual circumstances and perspectives.

Dr. S. David Vaillancourt

Thanks, Phillip.
The flexibility and array of tools can make many aspects of online teaching very enjoyable. Good insights - thanks.

Initially, it may appear that online teaching is more difficult than traditional teaching, but having taught in both environments, I would say it is about equal. There are certainly different challenges in the online environment, but each of these are being more and more easier to address due to advancing technology.

In the beginning of an online course, there is certainly more organizational work, but it pays off if you are assigned the same course in the future.

So, I basically think with all the advancing technologies for the online environment that in a lot of respects it is easier in the online environment than in the traditional FTF classroom.

Robert,
Your analysis of the trend for online is spot on. The f2f classroom is not improving nearly as fast due to technology being leveraged in as many new ways as are occurring in the virtual classroom. Very good point - thanks for your contribution.

I agree that teaching online can be more demanding than the classroom. For me, it is not the distance or lack of face-to-face interaction. It is what I have to do to overcome that issue. It means I have to go out of my way to search for ways to keep the student engaged, to sense their frustrations, to share their joys of learning...and yet I can't see them or interact with them directly because of that virtual distance. Therefore, in the online environment, I may have to tax myself and my creativity to do whatever is necessary to help the learner achieve his/her objectives and goals. Therefore, the situation becomes more demanding to me than the classroom environment.

Tom,
Again, well said.
What are the top two or three most demanding online tasks in your experience?
Thanks,

I think that it is somewhat difficult to teach an online class. Because you do not see the students on an everyday basis. As an instructor you have to make sure that you communicate clearly with the students via emails, announcements, or etc. just to make sure that they are getting the correct information. When teaching an online class it can be difficult to move onto the next subject if some students have not yet grasped the information.

Breezy,
There are many online instructors to share the same perspective. The efforts to maintain the relationship via mostly text-based, asynchronous communication requires more deliberate effort on the part of the instructor. Thank you for sharing.

Online teaching is not more difficult than the traditional classroom. There is little student interaction in the online environment when it compares to the traditional classroom setting.

Deborah,
Almost all teachers (and students) find the online classroom to require more effort for the same level of performance. Most attribute this to the limited communication channel of text, which seems to diminish the quantity and quality of interaction unless compensated by additional effort.

I believe that online is teaching is more difficult than traditional teaching because I find it very hard to see if a student is actually understanding the information you are tellimg them about. In traditional teaching when you are in front of your classroom discussing something you can see by the reaction on a students face if they are understanding what youa re saying.

Nicole,
Agreed - The 'rapid recovery/reteaching' of the face-to-face is something many educatiors miss when they go online.

Nicole,
Agreed - The 'rapid recovery/reteaching' of the face-to-face is something many educatiors miss when they go online.

I don't know if I would say that online instruction is more demanding. I would say that the demands of online teaching are different and posses a different set of challenges from that of a traditional classroom setting. I have taught in both modalities and each have their own uniqueness which can cause you difficulty if your inexperienced. Often times the worst class you'll ever have is the first one. You learn not from your successes but your do learn from your "failures". Experience is the best teacher to prepare you for the online environment. Not all class or students are the same. Just when I think I know it all I learn something new.. something that I hadn't seen before. I'm growing better as an online instructor every day..... but I doubt I seen it all. More is sure to come.

Christopher,
You have a truly excellent outlook on teaching in the online classroom. There is always something new to learn. Sometimes it's hard to know whether I, as the instructor, one more than my students. Each class section brings unexpected opportunities if we are open to recognizing them. Excellent post. Thank you for your contribution.

I have found that each setting has its own challenges. I must admit, teaching online has provided me the flexibility I need for my personal life. Additionally, it has provided me an opportunity to work with people in a geographically diverse environment. I am always learning something new and two classes are never the same. Admittedly, I sometimes feel as though I am constantly working. Online students appreciate/expect a quick response time for feedback on assignments, as well as emails.
Just a few of my thoughts....

Sign In to comment