Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Resolving Online Conflicts

I wonder if resolving online conflicts is difficult because students are attempting to
be disruptive. This technique takes the focus off of their academic shortcomings as they attempt to discredit the instructor.

While that maybe a possibility, I think that there maybe other factors in play. Students maybe disruptive because it is their very nature to be in the limelight and they will do anything they have to create a positive spin on themselves. This can be harmful not the rest of the students and potentially discrediting to the instructor.

Darlene,
Very good. You have identified the main problem most instructors have with this scenario when it occurs. It seems the best route for the teacher is to eliminate the 'power' struggle that is seeking to discredit the instructor by not acknowledging any malicious intent that may be inherent, while demonstrating that the teacher is knowledgeable about the class and willing to assist the student in the successful accomplishment of the class requirements.

Dr. S. David Vaillancourt

There is this component of conflicts online, but I have found that students tend to stream off topic in threaded discussion. As technologies change rapidly each "generation" (I use quotes since technological generations I believe are shorter time spans than actual generations) becomes more and more comfortable in online settings. I have had to set boundaries for discussion (reiterating the way a teacher can eliminate the "power" struggle) and guide the discussion back on topic. Ironically, although this is a new phenomenon I have encountered it mostly involves debates and discussion with religion and sometime politics. I have had to disallow preaching in the threads, although permitting religious examples in an academic way when appropriate.

John,
That is a tough line of disctinction to maintain, but I also have found it necessary. Excellent points.

Dr. S. David Vaillancourt

Sign In to comment